Buy locally from a partner
Compact Robotics board plus micro:bit starter kit
With the Kitronik Compact Robotics Board, the BBC micro:bit can be used to drive 4 motors (or 2 stepper motors) and 8 servos. Coupled with 17 other I/O expansion points, this means the BBC micro:bit can very easily become the core of a whole variety of robotics projects. The board is small on footprint but big on features and connectivity.
The Robotics Board features 2 Dual H Bridge Motor Driver ICs (capable of driving 2 standard motors or 1 stepper motor each) and 8 servo outputs (capable of driving standard and continuous rotation servos), all controlled from the BBC micro:bit using the I2C protocol via a 16 channel driver IC. Our custom MakeCode blocks make using I2C easy, even for novice users.
The Link header breaks out all the usable pins from the BBC micro:bit, and is designed to allow 2.54mm pitch pin header to be easily soldered into place. The 17 available I/O pins allow other input devices, for example, sensors, or output devices, such as ZIP LEDs, to be added to the board. The I2C communication lines are also broken out (Pins 19 & 20), which means other I2C compatible devices can also be added to the board and controlled by the BBC micro:bit.
Power is provided via either a terminal block or servo style connector. The supply is then controlled by an on/off power switch to the board. There is also a green LED to indicate when the board is turned on. The board then produces a regulated 3.3V supply which is fed into the 3V and GND connections to power the connected BBC micro:bit. This removes the need to power the BBC micro:bit separately. The 3V and GND pins are also broken out on the Link header, which means external devices can also be powered.
To use the compact robotics board, the BBC micro:bit should be inserted firmly into the edge connector, with the LEDs and buttons visible from the front.
Kitronik has produced a set of custom blocks for the MakeCode editor to simplify using the Compact Robotics Board for BBC micro:bit. To add them to the editor, select the cog icon in the top right of the editor. Then, select Extensions from the drop-down menu and in the search bar type and enter Kitronik. Pick the Kitronik robotics Board from the list and the new blocks will be added to the menu in the editor.
- A compact yet feature-packed board designed to sit at the heart of your robotics project.
- It can drive 4 motors (or 2 stepper motors) and 8 servos.
- The board also has 17 other I/O expansion points.
- The link header is designed to allow 2.54mm pitch pin header to be used.
- The I2C communication lines are also broken out allowing other I2C compatible devices to be controlled.
- This board also features an on/off switch and power status LED.
- Power the board via either a terminal block or servo style connector.
- The 3V and GND pins are also broken out on the Link header, allowing external devices to be powered.
- Code with the Microsoft MakeCode editor with custom blocks by Kitronik or with Python.
- 1 x Compact Robotics Board for BBC micro:bit.
- Length: 68mm.
- Width: 46.5mm.
- Height: 10.6mm.
- PCB Thickness: 1.6mm
- Datenblatt - Deutsche Übersetzung.
- Demo Code for programming in MicroPython is available from GitHub.
- Tech Talks - live stream playback.
This product is designed and manufactured in the UK by Kitronik.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.