This adjustable boost (step-up) voltage regulator generates higher output voltages (between 2V and 5.25V) from input voltages as low as 0.5V, and it also automatically switches to a linear down-regulation mode when the input voltage exceeds the output. This makes it great for powering electronics projects from 1 to 3 NiMH, NiCd, or alkaline cells or from a single lithium-ion cell.
Additionally, unlike most boost regulators, this unit offers a true shutdown option that turns off power to the load (with typical boost regulators, the input voltage will pass directly through to the output when they are disabled).
When boosting, this module acts as a switching regulator (also called switched-mode power supplies (SMPS) or DC-to-DC converters) and has a typical efficiency between 70% to 90%. The available output current is a function of the input voltage, output voltage, and efficiency, but the input current can typically be as high as 1.2A.
The regulator’s thermal shutdown engages at around 140°C and helps prevent damage from overheating. It does not have reverse-voltage protection.
- Input voltage: 0.5V to 5.5V.
- Adjustable output voltage from 2V to 5.25V.
- True shutdown option that turns off power to the load.
- Automatic linear down-regulation when the input voltage is greater than the output voltage.
- 1.2A switch allows for input currents up to 1.2A.
- Good efficiency at light load: <1mA typical no-load quiescent current, though it can exceed 1mA for very low input voltages (<100µA typical quiescent current with SHDN = LOW).
- Integrated over-temperature shutoff.
- Small size: 11.5 × 15.3 × 2.5 mm.
- 1 x Adjustable Step-up Voltage Regulator.
- 1 x 4 pin headers of 2.54mm pitch
- The boost regulator has four connections: shutdown (SHDN), input voltage (VIN), ground (GND), and output voltage (VOUT).
- The SHDN can be driven low (typically under 0.4 V) to power down the regulator and turn off power to the load (unlike most boost regulators, the input power does not pass through to the output when the board is disabled). This pin is internally pulled up to VIN through an 100 k? resistor, so it can be left disconnected or connected directly to VIN if you do not need to use the disable feature. The disable threshold is a function of the input voltage as follows:
- For VIN <0.8V, SHDN voltage must be below 0.1xVIN to disable the regulator and above 0.9xVIN to enable it.
- For 0.8V ≤ VIN ≤ 1.5V, SHDN voltage must be below 0.2×VIN to disable the regulator and above 0.8×VIN to enable it.
- For VIN >1.5V, SHDN voltage must be below 0.4V to disable the regulator and above 1.2V to enable it.
- The input voltage, VIN, must be at least 0.5V for the regulator to turn on. However, once the regulator is on, the input voltage can drop as low as 0.3V and the set output voltage will be maintained on VOUT. Unlike standard boost regulators, this regulator has an additional linear down-regulation mode that allows it to convert input voltages as high as 5.5V down to lower output voltages for small to moderate sized loads (for example, in our tests, this regulator was able to supply 300mA while converting an input of 5.5V down to 1.8V). When the input voltage exceeds the output voltage, the regulator automatically switches to this down-regulation mode. The input voltage should not exceed 5.5V. Please be wary of destructive LC spikes that might cause the input voltage to surpass 5.5V.
- The four connections are labeled on the back side of the PCB, and they are arranged with a 2.54mm spacing along the edge of the board for compatibility with solderless breadboards, connectors, and other prototyping arrangements that use a 2.54mm grid. You can solder wires directly to the board or solder in either the 4×1 straight male header strip or the 4×1 right-angle male header strip that is included.
- PCB Length: 11.5mm.
- PCB Width: 15.3mm.
- PCB Height: 2.5mm.
Pololu Stock Code:
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.