Thermosmart Thermal Conductivity Bar plus Thermometer Strips
Thermosmart Thermal Conductivity Bar plus Thermochromic Sheet
The thermal conductivity set comprises four metal bars held firmly together in parallel with a plastic rigid carrier. The carrier can be placed into a liquid to demonstrate the differences in thermal conductivity between the different materials.
The metals are copper, aluminium, brass and steel. Each bar has a Liquid Crystal temperature sensitive strip attached and its conductivity value marked on the back of the carrier. The liquid crystal strips have 8 boxes and change to a green colour at about 40°C.
The thermochromic Liquid Crystal used in these Conductivity Bars shows temperatures in the range 35°C to 45°C. The lowest temperature indication is a coppery red colour at 33°C and the hottest is a blue colour at over 45°C The 35°C to 45°C appears in green.
When cooler than about 30°C, the crystals in the film are solid and do not show any colour. At above about 50°C they melt and also show no colour. However, behind the film is a black backing sheet and so the film appears black. Between these temperatures something interesting happens. The crystals are in a liquid crystal state called a mesophase or liquid crystal phase. At these temperatures the crystals line up, or polarize, creating optical effects caused by Bragg diffraction. When these are placed on the black background, different colours of the visible spectrum can be seen at different temperatures.
At the top of each bar is an area large enough to be touched by a fingertip. This is an important confirmation to the student of what is happening, as they can feel the change in temperature and the differences between each metal.
Some discolouration will occur to the parts of the bars that have been immersed. The steel is zinc plated, the aluminium is anodized and the brass and copper are coated with an acrylic lacquer. The bars should be wiped dry with a soft cloth after each use and stored away from direct sunlight. NEVER apply direct heat such as a Bunsen flame to the bars. Immerse only the exposed metal ends in freshly boiled water. DO NOT immerse the plastic cradle or the thermochromic liquid crystal strips. DO NOT continue to heat the water; it should be BELOW BOILING POINT. Never use solvent or abrasive cleaners.
- These bars can be used to demonstrate the differences in thermal conductivity between the different materials.
- The metals are copper, aluminium, brass and steel.
- Each bar has a Liquid Crystal temperature sensitive strip attached and its conductivity value marked on the back of the carrier.
- 1 x Thermal Conductivity Set.
- Length: 203mm.
- Width: 55mm.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.