Please note: European delivery is temporarily disabled due to significant delays and other issues (Important info for EU customers)
These 5mm thin Side Pressed natural bamboo sheets measure 600mm x 400mm. Bamboo is a versatile product and these thin Side Pressed sheets can be cut by hand or on the laser cutter. Bamboo is one of the fastest-growing, renewable resources in the world. It absorbs CO2 in large quantities. With its properties comparable to hardwood, bamboo is the ideal alternative to increasingly scarce tropical hardwoods.
Colour Variation: The colour of these bamboo sheets can vary from batch to batch.
Size Variation: Because of the nature of the product and how it is produced the size of this product can vary. The sheet will always be over 600mm in length and 400mm in width but could be up to 20mm extra in either dimension.
Bowing: These Bamboo sheets can exhibit bowing due to moisture absorption. As these sheets are 5mm thick, correcting the bow for laser cutting may be problematic. For smaller cuts, the laser height can be adjusted accordingly but for larger cuts, the material would have to be flat to the laser bed.
Customer Service: If you have any doubts or concerns about this product's suitability for your needs, please contact our customer services team prior to ordering.
PropertiesThe bamboo strips are positioned side by side, glued and then pressed together. This creates a narrow line pattern with the bamboo nodes visible in a subtle way.
Although giant Bamboo is a grass and not a wood, the fully mature bamboo has hardwood like qualities insomuch that it is hard and durable. This means it can be used as flooring, decking and as wall panels. Because the bamboo is in strips and also because of its natural properties it will shrink and swell less than most solid woods. This means that bamboos is an incredibly stable material.
HarvestingAfter 4-5 years the bamboo stems are ready for harvest. This is very fast compared to hardwoods and one of the main reasons why bamboo is ecological. After harvesting the stems are split lengthwise to strips and the bark is removed.
It reaches its final length of up to 20 meters within a couple of months (with a speed of up to 1 meter a day during the growing season!). It takes the stem around 4-5 years to mature and acquire its excellent hardwood like characteristics (hardness, strength, dimensional stability). This stands in stark contrast with hardwoods. These take over 50 years to mature, are increasingly scarce and often more expensive.
Sustainable and GreenBamboo is an endless resource. It grows faster than any other plant, up to 1 meter per day! Each year the 4-5 year stems are harvested, providing room for the younger bamboo shoots to grow to maturity.
During growth, bamboo absorbs more CO2 than is released during production. They are therefore it is CO2 neutral over the complete life-cycle.
One bamboo plant consists of several poles and new shoots will grow from the mother plant every year. Generally, 20-25% of the poles in a sustainable bamboo forest or plantation can be harvested each year. This happens without decreasing the number of poles per hectare! The plant does not die after harvesting (as with trees), so no deforestation. On the contrary, by harvesting the mature plants, the yield and quality of the plantation actually increase.
Bamboo is easily recycled, for example as a resource to make chipboard. Alternatively, it can be burnt in a biomass energy plant to create green electricity. In this way, the use of fossil fuels is reduced. The sustainability, safety and quality of bamboo products is independently proven by the most respected ecolabels and certification programs in the market. Certifications include; FSC, Leed & Breeam, Nordic Ecolabel Certification, Indoor emissions, LCA Carbon Footprint, CE Marking, Fire Safety Wall/floor/ceiling, EN 350 Durability.
A healthy optionBamboo products are also a healthy choice as they are anti-static, anti-allergic and have low emissions of volatile organic compounds.
- Bamboo is hard and durable and can be used in place of hardwoods, plywoods and MDF sheets.
- Bamboo is also often used as flooring, decking and as wall panels.
- It is harvested from the fastest growing plant in the world and in a non-destructive and sustainable way.
- During growth, bamboo absorbs more CO2 than is released during production.
- Bamboo can be easily recycled.
- Bamboo is anti-static, anti-allergic and has low emissions of volatile organic compounds.
- 1 x 5mm Laser Bamboo Side Pressed Natural, 600mm x 400mm sheet.
- Length: 600mm.
- Width: 400mm.
- Thickness (nominal): 5mm.
- Laser cutter or hand tools.
The tolerance for the thickness of bamboo sheets is highly atmospherically dependent. The bamboo can also change thickness after delivery if moisture is absorbed during storage. We have material thicknesses of +10%.
- On all Perspex, acrylics, veneers, Styrofoam, polypropylene, plywood and MDF sheet orders (excluding A4 size) there is a flat delivery charge of £6.50 per order (most UK locations).
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- On all Perspex, acrylics, veneers, Styrofoam, polypropylene, plywood and MDF sheets (except A4 size) a large materials charge applies per order.
- This is £6.50 (£7.80 including VAT) for most UK locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT) for Northern Ireland and £18.00 (£21.60 including VAT) for UK remote locations.
- For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.