The gator:bit is an all-in-one “carrier” board for your microbit that provides you with a fully functional development and prototyping platform. Almost every pin on the micro:bit is broken out to pads that alligator (or crocodile, if you prefer) clips can connect to so you can get the most out of it! Whether it is data visualization using the five on-board addressable LEDs, capacitive touch sensing on pins 0, 1, & 2, or creating musical works of art using the built-in speaker we’ve got it covered with the SparkFun gator:bit!
The major benefit of gator:bit that we have provided is safe access to as many GPIO as possible from the micro:bit. Not only are pins 0, 1, 2, 8, 16, 5 (Button A), and 11 (Button B) broken out, but they are also protected against over voltage and over current/short circuit. Pins 0, 1, and 2 are ADC pins and are also the capacitive touch pins. Pins 8, 16, 5, and 11 are digital pins capable of read and write. Additionally, pins 13 (SPI), 14(SPI), 15(SPI), 19 (I2C), and 20 (I2C) can be used to read and write whatever digital signals you could want.
Each SparkFun gator:bit can be powered from 2.7V - 9V giving you quite a range of powering options. There are two ways of powering your gator:bit, either from the JST battery terminal or the alligator clip pads labeled “VIN”. Any voltage input between 2.7V and 9V will be regulated to 3.3V to power the micro:bit, the speaker, and for use by any of the alligator clip pins.
Even without any external hardware the gator:bit is still an exploratory development board for micro:bit allowing the easiest access to it for educators, beginners, and pro-makers alike.
The gator:bit does NOT include a micro:bit board. The micro:bit will need to be purchased separately.
- A micro:bit card edge connector.
- Input voltage: 2.7V - 9V.
- 5 built in addressable LEDs.
- Built in buzzer.
- 5V output.
- 3.3V output.
- 7 protected input/output pins.
- 3 pins for SPI communication.
- 2 pins for I2C.
- 1 x gator:bit for the BBC micro:bit.
- PCB Length: 114mm.
- PCB Width: 70mm.
- PCB Thickness: 1.6mm.
- 1 x micro:bit.
- Eagle Files.
- Hookup Guide.
- 5 Minute microbit guide.
- About micro:bit.
- micro:bit coding resources.
- Code it with the Microsoft MakeCode editor.
- Code it with the MU editor.
SparkFun Stock Code:
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.