This is a simple to use motion sensor. Power it up and wait 1-2 seconds for the sensor to get a snapshot of the still room. If anything moves after that period, the ‘alarm’ pin will go low.
This unit works great from 5 to 12V (datasheet shows 12V).
The alarm pin is an open collector meaning you will need a pull up resistor on the alarm pin. The open drain setup allows multiple motion sensors to be connected on a single input pin. If any of the motion sensors go off, the input pin will be pulled low.
We’ve finally updated the connector! Gone is the old “odd” connector, now you will find a common 3-pin JST! This makes the PIR Sensor much more accessible for whatever your project may need. Red = Power, White = Ground, and Black = Alarm.
SparkFun Stock Code:
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate click here.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer click here.
Thank you for your email, you can but you would need to use something like an arduino or micro:bit that you have coded up to control this interaction. This is basically because the sensor needs something to read it's voltage which will drop when it detects movement thus allowing a micro controller like an arduino to turn outputs on and off.
Thank you for your email, it should read as an analogue input pulling high or low depending on if it is being triggered. You would need to write it as something like if Pin 0 Reads high then activate the out put as a very rough starting point. We don't have a particular resoruce around PIR sensors but the rest of our resources are on the link below
Hi Zal, I have contacted the supplier of the product and they unfortunately don’t have any information regarding your query. As such they have provide a copy of the datasheet, https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Sensors/Proximity/SE-10.pdf, and advised that the only way to find out the max conditions is through testing. I’m sorry we couldn’t provide any further assistance with this.
Hi Avishka, The PIR sensor can run on a voltage between 5V-12V, for best results use a voltage above 6.7V. As such you wouldn’t need a voltage regulator unless you were using a voltage supply higher than 12V.
The PIR Module can be connected with the jumper wires we stock either male to male or male to female.https://www.kitronik.co.uk/4130-jumper-wires-premium-mm-pack-of-10.html https://www.kitronik.co.uk/4129-jumper-wires-premium-mf-pack-of-10.html
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.