Kitronik 3W Class D Stereo Amplifier plus batteries
The amplification is done by a PAM8008 3W amplifier IC, which offers excellent amplification when powered with anything from 5.5V all the way down to 3.2V, making it ideal for portable battery powered applications which require high quality stereo output.
The kit is supplied with a 3.5mm jack lead and 2 high quality, full range speakers, which are 5W and 65mm in size with corner mountings. The kit features a volume control & power LED as well as an on/off switch that switches between battery power, off and micro USB power.
Runs off 3x AA batteries or a micro USB power supply (used to charge many phones, tablets and e-readers).
- Easily portable battery powered amplifier kit.
- 3.5mm jack lead compatible with all standard audio equipment.
- Full range speakers.
- 2 x Ceramic Capacitor, 50V, 100nF.
- 2 x Electrolytic Capacitor, 16V, 1000uF.
- 1 x Capacitor, Electrolytic, 16V, 220uF.
- 1 x Electrolytic Capacitor, 50V, 1uF.
- 4 x Ceramic Capacitor, 50V, 10nF.
- 1 x 100K 16mm Linear Potentiometer.
- 2 x 0R Resistors.
- 1 x 220R Resistor.
- 1 x Micro USB Connector (Pre-mounted).
- 1 x Green 5mm Diffused LED - 35mCd.
- 1 x On - Off - On/Slide/Switch.
- 1 x Stereo Amplifier IC (PAM8008) (Pre-mounted).
- 1 x 3xAA Battery Cage with flying leads.
- 2 x 5W 4 Ohm 65mm Full Range Speakers.
- 1m x Figure 8 Speaker Cable 2x (7x0.18mm).
- 1 x 3.5mm Stereo Amplifier Cable.
- 1 x 3W Class D Stereo Amplifier PCB.
- PCB Length: 66.5mm.
- PCB Width: 38.5mm.
- Either: 3 x AA Batteries.
- Or: 1 x 5V 1A Micro USB UK Mains Wall Power Supply.
- Soldering Iron.
- Wire Cutters.
- Wire Strippers.
- Click here to download the essential information.
- Click here to download the full teaching resources.
This product is designed and manufactured in the UK by Kitronik.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate click here.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer click here.
Leon Fortt of Langley Park School for Boys in Beckenham sent in these pictures of a stylish enclosure he made for one of our 3W Class D Stereo Amplifier Kits. It's a great...
Leon Fortt of Langley Park School for Boys in Beckenham sent in these pictures of a stylish enclosure he made for one of our 3W Class D Stereo...
How to solder - an introductory guide: If you're new to soldering our Soldering School will have you up and running in no time. What is soldering? Soldering is a...
How to solder - an introductory guide: If you're new to soldering our Soldering School will have you up and running in no time. What...
Hi John, Unfortunately none of our amplifier kits allow you to charge your device while playing music to it. If you are referring to the Basic - LiPo Micro-USB Charger, this is only suitable to charge 3.7V LiPo cells via the JST connect on the board.
Hi Maddie, Unfortunately as per my previous answer this amplifier kit hasn't got the circuity built in to allow it to charge either a phone, IPod or MP3 player. Sorry.
Hi Robert, You could use this to power the kit, however it is only likely to last maybe a couple of hours so before the voltage drops below the minimum of 3.2V’s.
Hi James, The 3W class D amp kit comes with the circuit board and all the parts have to be soldered onto this. If you’re looking for a pre-built kit then the highest output amplifier kit that comes pre-built is the Deluxe amp kit, https://www.kitronik.co.uk/c2141b-deluxe-stereo-amplifier-pre-built.html
You could swap the LED out for any of the following which are direct replacements and would need the resistor changing, 3504, 3506, 3567, 3543, 3542. The last two codes would only need a resistor value of 150 Ohm, however keeping the 220 Ohm resistor would be fine. With regards to the switch it is possible to swap this for a different one, however you would need to ensure that it has the same pins as the one supplied in the kit, here is a link to the datasheet, https://www.kitronik.co.uk/pdf/3427_datasheet.pdf
Yes the LED switch and volume control are fine to be put on flying leads. As long as they are connected up in the same way as they would on the board then it will be fine. Unfortunately you are correct the USB charger is pre-mounted onto the board.
You would just need to check the speakers in parallel on each channel. You would need to make sure that the speakers you are using are 8Ohm’s, so when they are connected in parallel they give a 4Ohm load.
The speakers on this kit are a good way to improve sound quality without a large price tag, as such they are good quality full range speakers. The only information we have regarding the decibel reading is the following, Mean sound pressure level: 86 dB (1W/1m)
Hi Nathan, do you mean can you have 4 speakers connected to this kit? If that’s what you mean you could connect 2 8Ohm speakers per channel in parallel which would give a 4Ohm load per channel which is what this kit is designed to run.
The diameter of the speaker including the metal frame is 65mm, as such the radius is 32.5mm.
None of our project kits have the facility to charge a device as this can be a very sensitive process. We don't currently make a bluetooth add on module, off-the-shelf modules do exist though and should come with instructions for connecting to an amplifier.
Yes you can use a 1/4" Female Jack input instead of the male 3.5mm that is supplied with the kit, however we are not able to swap this with in the kit.
The 3W class D stereo amplifier kit comes with a pre-mounted Micro USB connector on the board, this means you can use a Micro USB power supply. The one we recommend using is the following https://www.kitronik.co.uk/2208-5v-1a-micro-usb-uk-mains-wall-power-supply.html this will just plug straight into the connection that is one the PCB.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.