A binary coded decimal (BCD) Up/Down Counter consisting of four synchronously clocked D-type flip-flops connected as a counter. It can either count up from zero to nine or down from nine to zero. The output is indicated in binary. Supplied in a 16 pin DIL package.
Pin Out information:
The diagram below shows how the counter operates when clocked, the solid line indicates a clock when set to count up and the dotted line when set to count down. The second number in each of the boxes is the binary representation of the data that will be present on the counter outputs Q3 to Q0.
In addition to the four outputs Q3 to Q0, there are four inputs P3 to P0 to Parallel Load (PL) a desired value. When the PL pin is taken high the data on the inputs P3 to P0 are loaded into the counter. This functionality can be used to reload the counter with any value.
The following table lists the pins not mentioned so far and their setting:
|CE||Input||Count enable (active low)
Low = Counting functionality enabled
High = Clocking the count line has no effect, the previous value is held
|CP||Input||Clock pulse – causes the count to either go up or down by one, clocking take place on the rising edge|
|UP/DN||Input||Up / Down mode
Low = down
High = up
|MR||Input||Master Reset (active high)
Low = normal operation
High = hold the device in a reset state, where CP, PL and outputs Q3 to Q0 are disabled. The count is zeroed.
|TC||Output||Terminal Count (active low)
Low = the count is about to wrap around
High = normal operation.
The terminal count pin can be used to clock a 2nd counter. TC is low when the count is zero for down counting, or low when the count is nine for up counting. Thus as the count actually wraps around the TC pin changes from low to high, which can be fed into the CP of the next digit.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.