This is a sample of our High-quality A/B grade Oak Veneered MDF panel measuring approx. 98mm x 98mm. This offers a perfect way of checking the suitability of a material without having to buy a complete sheet first. Check the finish of the material and get the perfect settings for your laser without having to practice on a full-sized/priced sheet.
This MDF panel is veneered on both faces of the sheet: A grade veneer on the front and B grade on the reverse.
Please note:As wood is a natural product, there is often a crook or bow to the sheet. The natural twist might be in excess of 10mm (see below - Tolerances and Caution).
A wood veneer is not like an artificial surface such as melamine or a laminate. It is cut from the log and therefore has its own unique grain, texture, and colour.
A Grade Veneer is a very high-quality grading (typically the best you will see). The surface of the material will be consistent in appearance with no large variations in colour. Small pin knots are allowed and these would typically be only a few mm in diameter. This grade veneer is on the top side of this MDF sheet.
The B Grade Veneer underside shows the natural look of the veneer. There will be changes in colour that show the grain pattern. Sound, smooth knots are allowed and these will typically be under 15mm to 35mm in diameter (depending on the country grading rules). The surface should normally be free from open knots and plugs. The material should be suitable for paint/stain or a lacquered finish.
There are two different cuts that can be used in veneer production:
- 'Quarter Cut' are cut at 90 degrees, producing the effect of a straight grain.
- 'Crown Cut' are sliced through the log, producing 'Crowns' and adding more character to the finish (as used on this product).
This product conforms to E1 (low) formaldehyde levels and is often described as 'Laser Grade' MDF but there is no official classification for this. We believe that E1 conforming MDF is the safest and best MDF for using in a laser cutter.
- Provided as a sample piece.
- Check material finish and get the perfect settings for your laser finalised before committing to a full sheet.
- A/B grade Oak Veneered finish.
- Veneer thickness is approximately 0.5mm.
- High-quality wood and veneer, for great-looking finishes.
- MDF core.
- Suitable for use in internal dry conditions as defined in EN 622 parts 1 and 5 and conforms to EN13986.
- Low formaldehyde emissions.
- 1 x Sample of 6mm Oak Veneered MDF, approx. 98mm x 98mm.
- Length: 98mm.
- Width: 98mm.
- Height: 6mm.
- Veneer thickness (approximately): 0.5mm.
The manufacturing tolerance for the thickness of veneered MDF sheets include the tolerance for both the MDF and the veneer. The
total combined thickness of both the MDF and the veneer could be as little as 5.35mm and as much as 6.65mm. The veneer on each face could be as thin as 0.25mm and as thick as 0.75mm.
Laser cutter examples:
- As wood is a natural product there is often a bow or crook to the MDF, and in some cases a twist. We have measured in excess of 10mm rise between the flat centre of the MDF and the corner. l. If you are using this product on a laser cutter; these sheets should be strapped/taped to the laser bed before cutting.
Teachers can order a sample of this kit (one per school) request a sample kit.
You will need to select the kit from a list of all the sample kits; the stock code for this kit is 3245-SMPL.
Note: this service is only offered to schools for evaluation purposes only.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
All our woods should be able to be stained though some might require a primer to be applied first depending on the stainer you are planning on using particularly on these oak fronted sheets as they are a hard wood.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.