The Digital Sandbox (DS) is a learning platform that engages both the software and hardware worlds. It’s powered by a microcontroller that can interact with real-world inputs – like light or temperature sensors – while at the same time controlling LEDs, motors, and other outputs. The Digital Sandbox is equipped with everything, on-board, that you will need to complete 13 experiments including controlling an LED, measuring how loud things are, detecting what the temperature is, and more. Think of this as a SparkFun Inventor’s Kit all in one board!
By interfacing the Sandbox to your computer via a USB cable, the Sandbox can be programmed using the popular Arduino programming environment. To further simplify the learning experience, we’ve designed the Sandbox and its guide around using a simple, “blocky”, programming add-on to Arduino called, Ardublock. Using ArduBlock – a simple, graphical version of the popular Arduino programming language – you will be able to program all of the experiments with a simple graphical interface instead of writing code.
The full-color Digital Sandbox Guide (included) contains step by step instructions of how to connect each circuit with the included parts. Full example code is provided and explained and even includes troubleshooting tips if something goes wrong. The kit does not require any soldering and is recommended for beginners ages 8 and up.
Note: There are three additional circuit experiments included in the DS Guide that will require the Digital Sandbox Add-On pack.
- Circuit 1: Exploring Blink.
- Circuit 2: Multi-Blink.
- Circuit 3: Dimming (the Hard Way).
- Circuit 4: Dimming (the Easy Way).
- Circuit 5: Colour Mixing.
- Circuit 6: Number Storage with Variables.
- Circuit 7: If This, Then That.
- Circuit 8: The Reaction Tester.
- Circuit 9: Serial Calculator.
- Circuit 10: Do the Analog Slide.
- Circuit 11: Automatic Night Light.
- Circuit 12: Thermal Alert!
- Circuit 13: Sound Detecting.
- 1x Digital Sandbox Board.
- 1x Clear Acrylic Baseplate.
- 1x USB Mini-B Cable - 6ft.
- 1x Instruction Manual.
- 4x Phillips Machine Screw - 4-40, 3/8".
- 4x Standoff - 4-40, 3/8".
Included on Board:
- LED Bar Graph.
- Slide Switch.
- Temperature Sensor.
- Light Sensor.
- RGB LED.
- Slide Potentiometer.
- Push Button.
- 3-pin Add-On Header.
- Eagle files.
- Digital Sandbox Guide.
- Experiment Guide.
- Experiment Guide (Arduino Companion).
- DS Guide (Separate Circuits)
- ArduBlock & Digital Sandbox Examples:
- GitHub (Example Code & Design Files).
SparkFun Stock Code:
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.