Monk Makes power board plus micro:bit
This tiny board has a standard DC barrel jack socket at one end and provides a regulated 3.3V output that you can use to power your microbit using the JST battery connector attached to wires coming from the other end of the board.
You might want to use a MonkMakes Power board for micro:bit board if you want to use a AC to DC adapter, solar panels, or other sources of power that are not the 3V or so that the micro:bit is expecting. The Power for micro:bit will accept an input voltage of 4.5 to 12V DC from its standard DC barrel jack socket and convert it into a pleasantly regulated 3.3V for your micro:bit.
The advantages of using a Power for micro:bit instead of say a USB 5V power supply are firstly that some USB 5V adapters can cause problems with the micro:bit (see micro:bit’s safety guidelines) and secondly because the micro:bit’s battery connector is connected directly to the 3V alligator clip-able connector of the micro:bit, you can supply other things that are connected to the micro:bit with a lot more than the allowed 90mA. In fact you can supply up to 700mA. This makes the board great for use with things like NeoPixel strips or servomotors that need a bit more current.
If you need to power your micro:bit project for long periods of time, then you are going to get sick of changing the batteries all the time. By using an AC adapter (not included, but 6V recommended) you can power your micro:bit indefinitely.
When powered from USB power, your micro:bit can only supply a maximum of 90mA of current through its 3V connector. This means that powering Neopixel LED displays or servomotors that need more current, may not work, or be reliable. The MonkMakes Power board for micro:bit boosts this maximum output current to a much more respectable 700mA. Enough to power far more Neopixels (the exact number depends on LED brightness) but // todo – verify max number at full brightness//.
The standard AAA battery pack works well, but will only last for a few days of continuous use of the micro:bit. By using the Power for micro:bit with a bigger battery pack with a DC barrel jack (you can achieve much greater battery life). For example, using a 4 x AA battery pack should provide roughly 4 times the battery life that you would expect from a AAA battery pack.
- The MonkMakes Power board for micro:bit opens up lots of ways of powering your micro:bit.
- This tiny board has a standard DC barrel jack socket at one end and provides a regulated 3.3V output.
- Use larger battery packs with your projects without risking damage to the micro:bit.
- Output connector: JST-2.0mm on flying leads.
- 1 x Monk Makes Power for BBC micro:bit.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.