The inky:bit for the BBC micro:bit is a low energy, high contrast, three colour electronic paper (ePaper / eInk / EPD) display. The inky:bit has been designed specifically for micro:bit V2 and will not work with V1. An ePaper display has been in the works for years but it wasn't until microbit V2, with its increased RAM, that it finally became possible.
The high contrast display is ideal for displaying simple graphics and rendering text which, just like paper, is readable in bright sunlight. ePaper displays have very low power consumption which makes them ideal for powering with batteries. Once you've written an image to the display it doesn't require any power to keep it there. Ideal for use as a name badge, a clock, for displaying QR codes or pixel art, or for displaying data from your micro:bit's sensors.
Multi-colour EPD displays, like the ones on inky:bit, use ingenious electrophoresis to pull coloured particles up and down on the display. The coloured particles reflect light, unlike most display types, meaning that they're visible under bright lights. It takes approximately 15 seconds to refresh the display, with a typical 8mA current draw during refreshes.
The easiest way to code inky:bit is with the block-based Microsoft MakeCode editor. There are custom drag and drop blocks that will help you get started drawing text, shapes and images. To add the inky:bit library in MakeCode, click on the cog at the top right-hand corner, then "Add Package", then enter the URL https://github.com/pimoroni/pxt-inkybit. There is also a library for MicroPython, more information on that here.
inky:bit's e-ink display is mounted on a slightly oversized PCB to protect it. This display does still involve a thin sheet of glass though, so it's worth taking a little bit of care to avoid direct impacts to the screen.
- It's a high contrast, three colour electronic paper (ePaper / eInk / EPD) display.
- 2.13" EPD display (250x122 pixels).
- Designed specifically for micro:bit V2.
- Microsoft MakeCode support.
- MicroPython support.
- Comes pre-assembled and ready to use.
- Ultra-low power consumption.
- Usable in bright sunlight.
- Ideal for use as a name badge, a clock, for displaying QR codes or pixel art, or for displaying data from your micro:bit's sensors.
- 1 x Pimoroni inky:bit for BBC micro:bit V2.
- Length: 67mm.
- Width: 44mm.
- Height: 12mm.
- Display Width: 48.5mm
- Display Height: 23.8mm
- Display Diagonal: 2.13" (54.1mm)
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.