The Laika Explorer board provides powerful robotics control for the Raspberry Pi. Connect with USB and start with Scratch or Python.
For more information on Laika please visit www.project-laika.com
Introducing Laika: The Laika platform allows control of motors, switches, lamps, robots and more using Scratch, Python or C on your computer, such as a Raspberry Pi.
The system is simple, and anyone can start by using the Scratch programming language to control hardware in a matter of minutes: download the drivers, connect to the Rapsberry Pi with a USB cable and Scratch away!
All this whilst being powerful and flexible enough to meet the needs of advanced users - a high speed, reliable design with a variety of programming interfaces.
Features: Laika provides you with an expandable, easy to use platform on which to build your skills in both hardware and software. Use Laika in your next robotics project and benefit from these features:
- USB connectivity.
- Modular and expandable.
- Multiple programming interfaces.
- Simplicity for beginners.
- Sophistication for advanced users.
- Flexible and universal hardware mounting.
- Robust industrial grade design.
The Laika Explorer board is well suited to people who want to learn how to control hardware like motors, LEDs and sounders, by developing software graphically in Scratch on the Raspberry Pi. This will be supported by the online Laika tutorials and forums to guide novices.
For advanced programmers, the Laika Explorer provides a quick way to prototype and develop technical projects by calling functions from the Laika library to manage the hardware fast and efficiently.
- 2x analogue and 4x digital inputs - to connect sensors, switches and other input devices.
- 7x digital outputs - to control LEDs, motors, sounders and other output devices.
- 2x H-Bridge motor driver circuit - to allow two motors to be driven in forward, reverse or brake, ideal for creating robots and buggies.
- 4x built-in switches - to allow convenient interaction between hardware and software.
- 7x indicator LEDs - present on each digital output for easy diagnostics. Powering Laika: The board has a 2.1mm centre positve DC power and runs off a supply voltage of between 4.6V and 10.8V.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
Thank you for your question, the latest drivers can be found on the link below.
Thank you for your email, we do hold these as stock but the original producers no longer produce or support them.
The best solution for powering the board using batteries is to use a rechargeable NiCad battery pack with a voltage in the range of 4.6-10.8V, some of these have 2.1mm DC jacks included which would make them very easy to connect to the board.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.