The Raspberry Pi Build HAT brings the exciting worlds of Raspberry Pi and LEGO® together for some hands-on educational fun.
The Raspberry Pi Build HAT combines the power of Raspberry Pi computing with LEGO® hands-on learning to enable a fun and creative learning experience for students, teachers and makers. It has been produced as part of a collaboration between LEGO® Education and Raspberry Pi to make it easy to control LEGO® Technic™ motors and sensors with Raspberry Pi computers to increase the impact and reach of STEAM learning.
It is supported by guided projects from the Raspberry Pi Foundation designed for secondary school students, the Raspberry Pi Build HAT delivers a unique hands-on learning experience that's accessible, engaging, and confidence-building for all students.
The Raspberry Pi Build HAT is compatible with the most recent generation of LEGO® Technic™ motors and sensors from the SPIKE™ Portfolio. The available sensors include a distance sensor, a colour sensor, and a force sensor. The angular motors come in a range of sizes and include integrated encoders that can be queried to find their position. The Build HAT also supports motors and sensors from the LEGO® MINDSTORMS® Robot Inventor kit, as well as most other LEGO® devices that use an LPF2 connector.
The Build HAT fits all Raspberry Pi computers with a 40-pin GPIO header, including — with the addition of a ribbon cable or other extension device — Raspberry Pi 400. Connected LEGO® Technic™ devices can easily be controlled in Python, alongside standard Raspberry Pi accessories such as a camera module.
This board can also be used with the LEGO® Maker Plate, available separately from LEGO® retailers, which allows the user to easily attach Raspberry Pi computers to the LEGO® building system. The LEGO® Education SPIKE™ Prime Set 45678 and SPIKE™ Prime Expansion Set 45681, available separately from LEGO® Education resellers, include a collection of useful elements supported by the Build HAT. The new, specially designed LEGO® Maker Plate is the first LEGO® element ever designed to connect to something that isn’t another piece of LEGO®.
The Raspberry Pi Build HAT power supply, available separately, is designed to power both the Build HAT and Raspberry Pi computer along with all connected LEGO® Technic™ devices.
The Build HAT has the distinction of being the second Raspberry Pi product, after Raspberry Pi Pico, to be powered by the Raspberry Pi RP2040 microcontroller.
- Integrate LEGO® Technic™, LEGO® Education SPIKE™, and the LEGO® building system into your Raspberry Pi projects.
- The Raspberry Pi Build HAT controls up to four LEGO® Technic™ motors and sensors included in the SPIKE™ Portfolio.
- Produced as part of a collaboration between LEGO® Education and Raspberry Pi Foundation.
- Easy-to-use Python library to control your LEGO® Technic™ devices
- Onboard Raspberry Pi RP2040 microcontroller manages low-level control of LEGO® Technic™ devices.
- When used with a LEGO® Maker Plate, available separately from LEGO® retailers, the Pi can be attached directly to the LEGO® building system..
- Requires an external 8V ±10% DC power source – like the Raspberry Pi Build HAT Power Supply, or a 7.5V battery pack – to power the Build HAT, Raspberry Pi computer (except Raspberry Pi 400), and connected LEGO® Technic™ devices.
- The HAT can also power the connected motors/sensors and the Raspberry Pi, when used in conjunction with the official external 48W (8V DC, 6A) Power supply unit (available separately here.)
- DC power connector: 2.1mm barrel jack, centre positive.
- Obsolescence - Raspberry Pi Build HAT will remain in production until at least January 2028.
- 1 x Raspberry Pi Build HAT.
- Length: 65mm.
- Width: 56.5mm.
- Height: 17mm.
- Weight: 19g.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.