PMS5003 Particulate Matter Sensor plus Enviro+ board
Monitor air pollution cheaply and accurately with this matchbox-sized particulate matter (PM) sensor (PMS5003) from Plantower! It senses particulates of various sizes (PM1, PM2.5, PM10) from sources like smoke, dust, pollen, metal and organic particles, and more.
Pair this particulate matter sensor with the Pimoroni Enviro+ for Raspberry Pi and build your own air quality monitoring station to contribute to citizen science projects such as Luftdaten. Just plug the cable into the sensor and then into the connector on the underside of Enviro+, and away you go!
The sensor features a small fan which pulls air past a laser. The laser can detect both the size and number of particles in the air. It is important to note that there is a blue protective film that covers the metal casing of the sensor, peel this off before use.
There are two options for digital output: passive and active. The default mode is active after power-up. In this mode, the sensor automatically sends serial data to the host. The active mode is divided into two sub-modes: stable mode and fast mode. If the concentration change is small the sensor would run at stable mode with the real interval of 2.3s. And if the change is big the sensor would be changed to fast mode automatically with an interval of 200~800ms, the higher the concentration, the shorter the interval.
Software: If you are using this sensor with Raspberry Pi, then you'll need to make a couple of changes to its configuration.
- Type (or copy/paste) and enter
sudo raspi-configinto the terminal to open the configuration tool.
- Using the arrows navigate down to and select option 3 Interface Options.
- Using the arrows again select P6 Serial Port and answer the questions to disable the login shell (answer No) and enable the serial port hardware (answer Yes).
- Accept your changes and then Finish and close.
- Open a terminal window then type (or copy/paste) and enter
sudo nano /boot/config.txtand add the linesenable_uart=1anddtoverlay=pi3-miniuart-btto the bottom of the file.
- To exit the editor, press Ctrl + X together, and then Y then Enter.
- If you are using it with the Enviro+ board, then the Enviro+ installation script will do all of this configuration for you.
You can also use this sensor with Raspberry Pi Pico (and other RP2040 boards) using this MicroPython library for PMS5003. You can install it easily using Thonny's 'Tools' > 'Manage Packages' (search for 'pms5003-micropython').
- There's a blue protective film that covers the metal casing of the sensor, peel this off before use.
- It senses particulates of various sizes (PM1, PM2.5, PM10) from sources like smoke, dust, pollen, metal and organic particles, and more.
- Small and discreet, approximately the same size as a matchbox! (50x38x21mm)
- Pair with a Pimoroni Enviro+ for Raspberry Pi and build your own air quality monitoring station.
- Use it to contribute to citizen science.
- A small fan pulls air past a laser which can detect the size and number of particles in the air.
- It comes with a 15cm Picoblade cable.
- UART serial interface.
- 1 x PMS5003 Particulate Matter Sensor.
- A 15cm Picoblade cable
- Length: 50mm.
- Width: 38mm.
- Height: 21mm.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.