Add precise line following to your autonomous buggy builds with the Kitronik Autonomous Robotics Platform Line Follower Board.
The Kitronik Autonomous Robotics Line following sensor board allows you to add line following to your robot/buggy projects. The board features 3 phototransistors that adjust the current flow depending on how much reflected light they detect. This results in an analogue output voltage that can be read into a microprocessor’s ADC channel, such as the Raspberry Pi Pico. It is also possible to use this board with other microprocessor platforms, such as the BBC micro:bit and Arduino. This board also features in the Kitronik Autonomous Robotics Platform for Raspberry Pi Pico.
The 5 pin connections are on a standard 0.1” (2.54mm) pitch pin header that will fit any standard prototype breadboard or strip-board. The pins provide connections for power (3v and 0V) and 3 sensor outputs, marked L, C, and R for the left, centre and right sensors respectively.
The board requires a 3V-5V supply (nominal 3.3V) and a ground connection onto the pin header. These pins are marked on the board as 3V and 0V. For more details on the pinouts see the Datasheet electrical information.
The sensor outputs a voltage that will change from the supply voltage to 0V. This change occurs when the sensors pass over light and dark surfaces. Different surfaces will reflect different amounts. A typical light surface will give a value of 0.5V for example. A typical dark surface will give a value of 2.5V (assuming a 3V VCC). The value in a program will depend on the processor's ADC range and width.
|Light.||Low Voltage ˜ 0V|
|Dark.||High Voltage ˜ 3V|
For an example of how to write code for this board, we have produced MicroPython example code, which you can find here. This MicroPython code has been written to demonstrate coding for the Raspberry Pi Pico. It is also possible to use this sensor board with an Arduino or a BBC micro:bit. For more information, please refer to the Datasheet.
- Add precise line following to your Robot/buggy projects.
- No Soldering is required.
- The pin connections are on a standard 0.1” (2.54mm) pitch pin header.
- Example MicroPython line following code for the Raspberry Pi Pico is provided on GitHub.
- This board is the same that features in the Kitronik Autonomous Robotics Platform for Raspberry Pi Pico.
- This board can be used in conjunction with Raspberry Pi Pico, Arduino, or micro:bit.
- 1 x Kitronik Autonomous Robotics Platform - Line Follower Board
- Length: 24.5mm.
- Width: 14.5mm.
- Height (without pins): 5.95mm.
- PCB Thickness: 1.6mm.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.