Digital Logic Pack for Kitronik Inventor's Kit plus Inventor's Kit
Learn to think logically with the Digital Logic Add-On for our Inventor's kit for micro:bit! This kit, along with our Inventor's kit, serves as an introduction to logic gates and how they can be used in conjunction with the microbit. The seven included experiments also cover the Basic Digital Logic curriculum at KS3 (UK Design & Technology curriculum).
Logic gates are the basic building blocks of digital integrated circuits, the chips found in the majority of electronic products today. Although these experiments explore how individual logic gates work, in chips there could be millions of individual logic gates, depending on the size and complexity of the chip. For example, there are approximately 1.4 billion transistors in a quad core i7. If we assume that the average gate requires three transistors then that would give approx. 450 million gates.
Included in this kit are 5 IC's, each a different type of logic gate. They are; AND, OR, XOR, NAND, and a NOT Gate. There are also colour coded stickers included, and these colours are used throughout the booklet in the circuit diagrams. The kit also contains 2 x 2N7000 FETs and a pack of 10 male to male jumper wires. Each experiment also makes use of components from our Inventor's kit for micro:bit, often LEDs as they offer a visual and immediate indication of the 'state' of gate inputs and outputs.
The code has been created in the Microsoft MakeCode Editor and the code for each of the experiments can be downloaded from the resources section below. We have also produced Python code examples for each of the experiments, these are also available as a download from the resources section.
- Offers an easy to understand introduction to Digital Logic gates and combining these gates with the micro:bit.
- This kit can be used as a teaching aid for Basic Digital Logic curriculum at KS3.
- A fun and hands on introduction to the building blocks of ICs.
- Code can be created with the Microsoft MakeCode editor and also in the Python editor.
- The code examples have also been provided as a download from the resources section below. Choose from either blocks or Python.
- The topics covered include; Truth Tables, Semiconductors and state electricity, and how to use gates in conjunction with the micro:bit via code.
- Learn how to build and code the 7 following experiments;
- EXP.1 - Introduction to ‘NOT’ Gates.
- EXP.2 - Introduction to ‘AND’ Gates.
- EXP.3 - Introduction to ‘OR’ Gates.
- EXP.4 - Introduction to ‘NAND’ Gates.
- EXP.5 - Introduction to ‘XOR’ Gates.
- EXP.6 - Half Adder Circuit.
- EXP.7 - Full Adder Circuit With Binary To Decimal Converter.
- 1 x Quad 2 input AND IC.
- 1 x Quad 2 input OR IC.
- 1 x Hex NOT IC.
- 1 x Quad 2 input NAND IC.
- 1 x Quad 2 input XOR IC.
- 2 x 2N7000 FET.
- 10 x M-M Jumper Wires.
- 1 x Set of 5 colour coded IC Stickers.
- Tutorial booklet, containing 7 experiments.
- Kitronik Inventor’s Kit for the BBC micro:bit.
- BBC micro:bit.
- Micro USB cable.
- Microsoft MakeCode Editor.
- micro:bit Python editor.
MakeCode- The files have been zipped and will need to be extracted. Once extracted, the files can either be individually loaded directly onto a connected micro:bit or individually dragged and dropped into the MakeCode editor.
Python- The files have been zipped and will need to be extracted. Once extracted, the files can be individually dragged and dropped into the Python editor. Once in the editor, the file can be downloaded as a hex file that can be dropped directly onto a connected micro:bit.
This product is designed and manufactured in the UK by Kitronik.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate click here.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer click here.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.