Our windup torch kit offers a fun way to learn about electronics and alternative energy sources in a single kit. The kit also offers a great project for designing an enclosure and handle for. Please see the Resources section below for our design files which you may use for either inspiration or as ready to go solutions. There is a simple laser cut handle that you can cut in seconds and add an M3 nut and bolt combination to complete the handle, the 3D printed resource also contains free files so you can get printing straight away.
Winding the motor by hand generates the power for both the LED and the Supercapacitor. The longer you wind for the more charge the capacitor will store and the longer the LED will stay lit for after you stop winding.
Wen fully charged the super capacitor should be able to keep the LED fully lit for up to ten minutes.
- The kit results in a powered light that will never need new batteries.
- A great way to learn about electronics and alternative power sources.
- A fully charged Supercapacitor can power the LED for up to 10 minutes.
- Backed up by detailed teaching reasources which can be found at the foot of the page.
- 1 x 1F Super Capacitor.
- 1 x White 5mm Water Clear LED.
- 1 x Shottkey Diode.
- 1 x 100 ohm Resistor.
- 1 x Zenner Diode.
- 1 x 0.5m Connecting Wire.
- 1 x Windup Torch kit PCB.
- Max Length With extended LED: 73mm
- Height With Supercapacitor: 10.5mm
- Width with Supercapacitor: 20.6mm
- PCB Length: 47mm.
- PCB Width: 18mm.
- PCB Height: 1.6mm.
A fully detailed drawing of the built PCB and motor can be found towards the end of the Teaching Notes.
Teachers can order a sample of this kit (one per school) request a sample kit.
You will need to select the kit from a list of all the sample kits; the stock code for this kit is 2164.
Note: this service is only offered to schools for evaluation purposes only.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
How to solder - an introductory guide: If you're new to soldering our Soldering School will have you up and running in no time. What is soldering? Soldering is a...
How to solder - an introductory guide: If you're new to soldering our Soldering School will have you up and running in no time. What...
We've recently released the Kitronik Windup torch kit, which is a great way to learn about electronics and alternative power sources. It also lends itself perfectly to enclosure design projects, students...
We've recently released the Kitronik Windup torch kit, which is a great way to learn about electronics and alternative power sources. It also lends itself perfectly...
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.