Please note: European delivery is temporarily disabled due to significant delays and other issues (Important info for EU customers)
Keep an eye on the wellbeing of your houseplants with this useful soil moisture sensor. You could even add a pump and a water source for an automated watering system!But be sure to weather/water proof it first.
The soil moisture sensor is pretty straightforward to use. The two large, exposed pads function as probes for the sensor, together acting as a variable resistor. The more water that is in the soil means the better the conductivity between the pads will be, resulting in a lower resistance and a higher SIG out.
This version of the Soil Moisture Sensor includes a 3-pin screw pin terminal pre-soldered to the board for easy wiring and setup.
To get the SparkFun Soil Moisture Sensor functioning, all you will need is to connect the VCC and GND pins to your Arduino-based device (or simlar/compatible board such as the microbit). You will receive a SIG out, which will depend on the amount of water in the soil.
One commonly known issue with soil moisture senors is their short lifespan when exposed to a moist environment. To combat this, we’ve had the PCB coated in gold finishing (ENIG, or Electroless Nickel Immersion Gold).
Note: Weather Proofing:
If you intend to use this moisture sensor outside or to leave it in a plant pot during watering it would be prudent to weather proof it. This can be done with a hot glue gun or with a silicone conformal coating.
- A breakout for measuring the moisture in soil.
- Terminal Block connections.
- Simple operation.
- 1 x Soil Moisture Sensor.
- Length: 60mm.
- Width: 24mm.
- Max Height: 10mm.
- PCB Thickness: 1mm
SparkFun Stock Code:
- SEN - 13637.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.