The Grove Ultrasonic Distance Sensor is an ultrasonic transducer that utilizes ultrasonic waves to measures distance. It can measure from 3cm to 350cm with the accuracy up to 2mm. It is a perfect ultrasonic module for distance measurement, proximity sensors, and ultrasonic detector.
This module has an ultrasonic transmitter and an ultrasonic receiver so you can consider it as an ultrasonic transceiver. Similar to sonar, when the 40KHz ultrasonic wave generated by the transmitter encounters the object, the sound wave will be reflected back, and the receiver can receive the reflected ultrasonic wave. It calculates the time from the transmission to the reception, and then multiplies it by the speed of the sound in the air(340 m/s) to calculate the distance from the sensor to the object.
Compared with traditional ultrasonic module, the HC-SR04, the Grove Ultrasonic Distance Sensor integrates a single-chip microcomputer, and the transmitting signal and the receiving signal share one pin by time division multiplexing, so only one I/O pin is occupied. Another difference is that HC-SR04 only supports 5v voltage, while Grove - Ultrasonic Distance Sensor supports 5v and 3.3v. As we know, the Raspberry pi I/O only supports 3.3v. Therefore, Grove - Ultrasonic Distance Sensor can be directly connected to the I/O of the Raspberry Pi, but HC-SR04 needs to use a voltage conversion circuit.
- 3.3V/5V compatible, wide voltage level: 3.2V ∼ 5.2V.
- Only 3 pins needed, save I/O resources.
- Wide measurement range of 3cm ∼ 350cm.
- Easy to use, grove connector, plug and play.
- Distance measurement.
- Ultrasonic detector.
- Proximity alarm.
- Smart car/buggy/robot.
- 1 x Grove Ultrasonic Distance Sensor.
- Length: 50mm.
- Width: 25mm.
- Height: 16mm.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate click here.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer click here.
The HC-SC04 is a 5V sensor so would not be compatible with the micro:bit. The Grove Sensor should work and we stock a kit from Grove Electronics to help with this.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.