Breakout Garden for Raspberry Pi plus Square LCD
The Pimoroni Breakout Garden Mini (I2C + SPI) offers the easiest way to use breakouts with your Raspberry Pi. There's no soldering required, just pop up to six Pimoroni breakouts (4xI2C, 2xSPI) into the slots on Breakout Garden Mini and get started coding and creating.
It's ideal for prototyping projects without the need for complicated wiring, soldering, or breadboards, and you've always got the option of changing your setup thanks to the way that Breakout Garden works.
The six sturdy slots on Breakout Garden are edge connectors that connect Pimoroni breakouts to the pins on your Raspberry Pi. This new version of Breakout Garden has two SPI slots for Pimoroni SPI breakouts like our 0.96" LCD Breakout.
It's also got four I2C slots for Pimoroni I2C breakouts. Because I2C is a bus, you can use multiple I2C devices at the same time, providing they don't have the same address (we've made sure that all of our breakouts have different addresses).
There are a host of useful breakout pins along the top of Breakout Garden, so you can connect other devices and integrate them into your Breakout Garden projects. If you have Pimoroni breakouts to which you've already soldered headers, then you can use this top row of pins to use them alongside other breakouts on Breakout Garden.
In use: We'd suggest using the included standoffs to attach Breakout Garden firmly to your Raspberry Pi. Pop the screws through the mounting holes on your Raspberry Pi, from below, and then screw the standoffs onto the screws. Push Breakout Garden onto your Pi's GPIO pins, and then screw through each mounting hole into the standoffs to hold everything steady and secure.
Because of the way that I2C (the protocol that Breakout Garden uses) works, it doesn't matter which slot on Breakout Garden you plug your Pimoroni breakout into. Each I2C device has an address (you'll see it on the back of each breakout) that it uses to identify itself to other I2C devices, so it's effectively saying to your Raspberry Pi, "Hey, it's me, Bob!"
SPI is a faster, higher-throughput protocol for talking to devices like displays. The two SPI slots have different chip select (CS) and GPIO pins that you should change in software, depending on which slot you're using.
The top/back slot (closest to the Breakout Garden logo) uses chip select 0 (BCM 8) and BCM 18 for the GPIO (used for things like LCD backlights) pin. The bottom/front slot uses chip select 1 (BCM 7) and BCM 19 for the GPIO pin.
There is also reverse polarity protection built into the Pimoroni breakouts, meaning that there's no magic blue smoke if you accidentally plug one in the wrong way round. However, the correct way to plug them in is to make sure that the labels on the pins on your breakout and the labels on each Breakout Garden slot match up.
- Six sturdy edge-connector slots for Pimoroni breakouts.
- 4x I2C slots (5 pins).
- 2x SPI slots (7 pins).
- 0.1” pitch, 5 or 7 pin connectors.
- Broken-out pins (1x10 strip of male header included).
- Standoffs (M2.5, 10mm height) included to hold your Breakout Garden securely.
- Reverse polarity protection (built into breakouts).
- HAT format board.
- 1 x Pimoroni - Breakout Garden for Raspberry Pi (I2C + SPI).
- 1 x (1x10) strip of male header
- 2 x Standoffs.
- Raspberry Pi
- Suitable breakouts, such as;
- Breakout Garden GitHub repo.
- Example setups.
- Here's a few other project ideas to get you thinking:
- A laser tape measure with VL53L1X Time of Flight Breakout and 1.12" OLED
- An environmental display with BME680 Breakout, BH1745 Luminance and Colour Sensor Breakout, and 1.12" OLED
- A really sophisticated presence detector with MLX90640 Thermal Camera Breakout, LSM303D 6DoF Breakout, and the BH1745 Luminance and Colour Sensor Breakout
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.