The super-smart BME688 air quality sensor can measure temperature, pressure and humidity precisely. It also has an upgraded, AI-enhanced gas scanner! Like its predecessor the BME680, this high-quality sensor can be used to monitor every aspect of your environment, taking high-precision measurements of temperature, pressure and humidity.
Additionally, the BME688 has an updated gas scanner function with extended measurements, which will react to changes in volatile organic compounds (VOCs), volatile sulfur compounds (VSCs) and the presence of carbon monoxide and hydrogen to give a general measure of indoor or outdoor air quality. With Bosch's software, you can analyse the gas readings further and train the algorithms to make inferences about specific air quality indicators, including the likelihood of bacteria growth and the presence of other organic contaminants.
Want to get an idea of whether there's adequate ventilation in your bedroom, workshop, or workplace? Set up a BME688 on a Pi Zero W and have it log sensor readings to a file or post them into your home automation software or a web service like adafruit.io or freeboard.io.
This breakout is compatible with the fancy Breakout Garden system, where using breakouts is as easy as just popping it into one of the slots and starting to grow your project, create, and code. It's also Qw/ST compatible so it can be plugged into a whole range of different microcontrollers and HATs with Qwiic or STEMMA QT connectors.
The design of the breakout board is such that you can solder on the piece of right angle female header and pop it straight onto the bottom left 5 pins on your Raspberry Pi's GPIO header (pins 1, 3, 5, 7, 9). The right angle header also has the advantage of positioning the breakout away from the Pi's CPU so as to minimise radiated heat.
- During testing, it was found that the sensor requires some burn-in time (at least 20 minutes) and that readings may take a couple of minutes to stabilise after beginning measurements
- The trace on the back of the board marked ADDR can be cut to change the I2C address from the default of 0x76 to 0x77, meaning that you can use up to two sensors on the same Raspberry Pi or Arduino
- The BME280, BME680, BMP280 and BME688 breakouts all share the same I2C addresses, so if you're using two together then you'll need to change the I2C address on one of them using the solder bridge or cuttable traces.
- Bosch BME688 4-in-1 environmental sensor with Artificial Intelligence (datasheet)
- I2C interface, with address select via ADDR cuttable trace (0x76 or 0x77)
- Qwiic/STEMMA QT connector
- 3.3V or 5V compatible
- Reverse polarity protection (on Breakout Garden connector)
- Raspberry Pi-compatible pinout (pins 1, 3, 5, 7, 9)
- Compatible with Arduino
- Compatible with Raspberry Pi (Python library)
- Compatible with Raspberry Pi Pico (C++/MicroPython libraries)
- 1 x BME688 breakout board.
- 1 x (1x5) male header.
- 1 x (1x5) female right angle header.
- Length: 19mm.
- Width: 19mm.
- Height: 5mm.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.