Unlock your potential and get creative with code, electronics, science, and engineering. With the BBC micro:bit anything is possible!
This is a single BBC microbit with no accessories, dispatched in retail packaging. This is the perfect buying option if you are planning to give it as a gift or send it through the post. Your BBC micro:bit will come in one of 4 colour schemes, unfortunately, it is not possible to specify which colour you will receive.
The new micro:bit V2 is the latest revision of everyone’s favourite powerful palm-sized, and fully programmable computer. Conceived by the BBC to encourage children to get actively involved in writing software and building new things that will be controlled by it.
For feature and technical specification differences between micro:bit V1 and the new microbit, click here.
Onboard sensors: micro:bit is in tune with its surroundings, thanks to an impressive array of onboard sensors. The micro:bit can detect movement in 3 directions, which allows you to tackle projects such as movement-triggered alarms, turning the microbit into a tilt-type controller, and more. It has a built-in compass and it can also detect changes in temperature and light level, The mic can be used to monitor sound which can be used to trigger other events or be displayed on the LED matrix.
Buttons: The micro:bit features two user-programmable buttons. Switch things on and off, use them to move or fire within games, the possibilities are endless. V2 of the microbit also sees the addition of a front-mounted touch logo, which is part sensor and part button.
Light and sound: The micro:bit V1 & V2 both feature an LED matrix display. Arranged in a 5 x 5 grid, this display is fully programmable and can be used to display text, numbers, or images. Create badges, status displays and more. It also features an onboard microphone which can be used for code that reacts to sound.
Wireless communication: The micro:bit features two different forms of wireless communication, Bluetooth and Radio. In microbit V2 Bluetooth has been upgraded from Bluetooth 4.0 to 5.0. Bluetooth. Allowing the micro:bit to communicate with other Bluetooth devices, such as phones, tablets, and even PCs. The Radio module allows the micro:bit to communicate with other nearby micro:bits via radio waves.
Edge connector: The micro:bit features 25 pins; 4 dedicated GPIO, PWM, i2c, SPI, power, and also, 3 ring pins for connecting croc clips/banana plugs. Notched in V2 for easier connection via; crocodile clips and conductive thread. i2C is now a dedicated bus as opposed to V1's shared bus.
Power: You can power the micro:bit in three different ways; The USB connector, the JST battery connector, and the 3V pad on the edge connector. In V2, we see the addition of an on/off switch and a power indicator LED. Updates in V2 also see an increase in the amount of power available for accessories, its jumped from 90mA to 200mA.
- USB, Radio, serial, and Bluetooth Low energy connectivity.
- A Compass and Accelerometer.
- 2 x user-assignable buttons.
- A fully programmable 25 LED display.
- 25 pin notched edge connector.
- Onboard speaker.
- MEMs Microphone with LED indicator.
- Touch-sensitive logo.
- Light level sensing.
- Temperature sensing.
- Built-in sleep/off mode allows the board to be powered-down with batteries connected.
- A discrete regulator that can supply up to 200mA of current to external accessories.
- Power status LED and USB data transfer LED.
- 1 x BBC micro:bit in retail packaging.
- PCB Length: 52mm.
- PCB Width: 42mm.
- PCB Height: 11.7mm.
- 1 x USB Cable (For programming).
- Computer with Internet access.
- The Five Minute microbit Guide.
- The Parent's Complete Guide To The BBC micro:bit.
- micro:bit V1 and 2 features comparison.
- How to convert V1 hex files to Universal hex files.
- Kitronik University micro:bit resources and guides.
- The micro:bit Foundation website.
Note: Due to Country specific trademark restrictions there may be some Countries that we are unable to ship the BBC micro:bit to. In the unlikely event that this occurs we will fully refund your purchase.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.