Let your project know its place in the world with this tiny but ultra-sensitive PA1010D global positioning breakout!
This I2C breakout houses a PA1010D GPS receiver module with an inbuilt ceramic antenna, which will let you extract date and time, latitude, longitude, speed and altitude data from satellites. It is has been supplemented with a supercapacitor, which acts like a short-term backup battery for your GPS data, enabling the module to lock back onto signals much more quickly after power down. There's also an indicator LED, which will flash whenever the module has a satellite fix.
You could hook one of these up to a weather station or other measuring device to give your data really accurate time, date and location stamps - or go a step further and team it with one of our display breakouts to build your own modular GPS navigation system or treasure hunting device. (Please don't rely on this breakout as your sole navigation device at sea or in the wilderness!)
You can attach it to your Pi's GPIO directly or via a breadboard with the included headers, but it's also compatible with our fancy solderless Breakout Garden, which makes it easy to use several different breakouts at the same time.
Like solar panels, rocket ships and humans, these GPS modules work best when they have an uninterrupted view of the sky. If it's taking a long time to get a satellite fix, try taking it outside or pointing the antenna upwards or towards a window.
- It's not possible to connect an external antenna to this breakout.
- It's not possible to change the default I2C address.
- PA1010D GPS / GLONASS / GALILEO receiver module with an inbuilt ceramic antenna.
- Supports up to 210 PRN channels with 99 search channels and 33 simultaneous tracking channels.
- Ultra-high sensitivity: -165dBm.
- High accuracy 1-PPS timing support (±20ns jitter).
- Supercapacitor, which saves satellite locations and status in the event of a power down. It also lets the GPS module run its internal clock, with about 1 hour of 'battery capacity'.
- Green LED indicator, connected to the PPS output of the GPS module. It's possible to disable the LED (or change the PPS output behaviour) with software.
- 2x M2.5 mounting holes.
- I2C interface, with a default address of 0x10.
- 3V to 5V compatible.
- Reverse polarity protection.
- Raspberry Pi-compatible pinout (pins 1, 3, 5, 7, 9).
- Compatible with all models of Raspberry Pi.
- Compatible with Arduino.
- 1 x PA1010D GPS Breakout.
- 1 x (1x5) male header.
- 1 x (1x5) female right angle header.
- Length: 28mm.
- Width: 21mm.
- Height: 9mm.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.