Kitronik Prong Soil Moisture Sensor plus micro:bit
Kitronik Prong Soil Moisture Sensor plus micro:bit starter pack
The Prong soil moisture sensor for BBC microbit is a sensor board that can be directly mounted to a BBC micro:bit to monitor the moisture present in soil. The two conductive tines are placed into the soil. Any water or moisture in the soil will conduct to give an analogue voltage that can be read by the BBC micro:bit.
Prong is powered from the 3V supply of the BBC micro:bit. Use either the USB or JST connector on the BBC micro:bit to power the circuit. Prong and the BBC micro:bit can also be powered from the Mi:Power board to create a compact stand alone unit.
The board has been designed so that the BBC micro:bit can be bolted on using 3 x M3 nuts and 3 x M3 screws. Place the screws through the P1, 3V and GND holes of the PCB and BBC micro:bit, then use the M3 nuts to fasten together on the back of BBC micro:bit. Alternatively croc-clips can be used to connect between the Prong and the BBC micro:bit.
If using the Mi:Power board then additionally connecting P0 means the BBC micro:bit can sound an alarm if the soil becomes too dry.
When fitted to the Prong moisture sensor, the micro:bit can be coded via any of the micro:bit editors, such as the Microsoft MakeCode editor.
Note:To ensure that the Prong moisture sensor has a long and fulfilling life, it is better to write your code to perform a moisture check every so often rather than continuously. When the check is performed continuously it promotes rapid erosion of the electrodes.
- Measure soil moisture levels.
- Attaches directly to the microbit.
- Use in conjunction with the Mi:Power board to provide power and an audible alarm.
- Code with any microbit coding editor.
- 1 x Prong Soil Moisture Sensor for microbit.
- 3 x M3 Hex Nuts.
- 3 x M3 Countersunk Screws.
- Length: 68mm.
- Height: 53mm.
- PCB Thickness: 1.6mm.
- 1 x BBC micro:bit.
This product is designed and manufactured in the UK by Kitronik.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.