Please note: European delivery is temporarily disabled due to significant delays and other issues (Important info for EU customers)
Kitronik FM Radio Kit V2.0 plus batteries
The FM radio kit uses industrial surface mount ICs (the Si4820 and the NCP2890). The FM radio kit is supplied with the ICs mounted on the board. You just have to solder the remaining resistors, capacitors and other components to finish the kit.
The radio has controls for tuning and to adjust the volume. The circuit includes an audio amplifier and output is via a 66mm diameter speaker that is supplied with the kit.
The board can be powered from a 2.5V to 5.5V supply and works nicely off a 5V wall supply or 3x AA batteries (not supplied).
The Si4820 IC is one of the latest generation of radio receiver ICs that offer fantastic reception quality and ease of tuning, and the NCP2890 IC can output 1W of power.
- FM Radio kit.
- Audio amplifier built-in.
- 1 x Si4820 FM Radio IC (Pre-mounted).
- 1 x CM1213A ESD Protection Diode (Pre-mounted).
- 1 x TLV700 3.3V LDO 200mA Regulator (Pre-mounted).
- 1 x NCP2890D Mono Amplifier IC (Pre-mounted).
- 1 x Fixed Inductor 270nH 5% (Pre-mounted).
- 1 x 100K 16mm Linear Potentiometer.
- 1 x 10K 16mm Linear Potentiometer.
- 5 x Electrolytic Capacitor, 50V, 1uF.
- 3 x Ceramic Capacitor, 50V, 100nF.
- 1 x Ceramic Capacitor, 33pF.
- 2 x Ceramic Capacitor, 22pF.
- 2 x Ceramic Capacitor, 470nF.
- 1 x Ceramic Capacitor, 50V, 470pF.
- 1 x Ceramic Capacitor, 50V, 1nF.
- 1 x Electrolytic Capacitor, 16V, 100uF.
- 2 x 220K Resistor.
- 1 x 56K Resistor.
- 1 x 3.3K Resistor.
- 1 x 100K Resistor.
- 2 x 0R Resistor.
- 1 x 6.8K Resistor.
- 1 x 470R Resistor.
- 1 x 10K Resistor.
- 1 x Watch Crystal for Radio.
- 1 x 100R Resistor.
- 1 x 3xAA Battery Cage with Flying Leads.
- 1m x Single Core Wire.
- 1 x 8 ohm 66mm Speaker.
- 1 x FM Radio PCB.
- PCB Length: 88mm.
- PCB Width: 46mm.
- Soldering Iron.
- Wire Cutters.
- Wire Strippers.
- Tape Measure.
- Either: 5V wall power unit (some modification is required - see our tutorial for the mono amplifier kit here).
- Or: 3 x AA Batteries.
- FM Radio Telescopic Antenna / Aerial (Optional).
- Click here to download the essential information.
- Click here to download the full teaching resources.
This product is designed and manufactured in the UK by Kitronik.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
Kitronik customer Alan Sharman sent in these shots of an enclosure that he made for our FM Radio Kit. Not only is it a great design, it also highlights that...
Kitronik customer Alan Sharman sent in these shots of an enclosure that he made for our FM Radio Kit. Not only is it a great...
3rd Form D&T students from Wisbech Grammar School sent us these great examples of radios based on our FM Radio Kit. Fantastic work class, you should be proud!
3rd Form D&T students from Wisbech Grammar School sent us these great examples of radios based on our FM Radio Kit. Fantastic work class, you...
This is an FM radio that has been design by Michael Benbow Yr. 12 from Whitchurch High School in Cardiff, to look like a F1 car. It has been done...
This is an FM radio that has been design by Michael Benbow Yr. 12 from Whitchurch High School in Cardiff, to look like a F1...
This page shows some of the FM radios made by the year 11 Resistant Materials group at the Hawkley Hall High School. Various construction methods have been used to make...
This page shows some of the FM radios made by the year 11 Resistant Materials group at the Hawkley Hall High School. Various construction methods...
How to solder - an introductory guide: If you're new to soldering our Soldering School will have you up and running in no time. What is soldering? Soldering is a...
How to solder - an introductory guide: If you're new to soldering our Soldering School will have you up and running in no time. What...
As part of our continued focus on the Robox RBX1 3D Printer we have also explored the resources available to users. This week we are revisiting My Mini Factory, looking...
As part of our continued focus on the Robox RBX1 3D Printer we have also explored the resources available to users. This week we are...
Hi Luke, The FM radio kits can run on a voltage between 2.5-5.5V with a maximum current draw of 250mA. A USB plug power supply such as this one, 2261-usb-power-supply-uk-mains can provide 5V and a maximum current draw of 500mA. So yes it should be fine.
Hi Maisie, Yes it is possible to add a second speaker to the circuit. The kit is supplied with an 8 Ohm speaker, and is best suited for an impedance of 8 Ohm’s. As such you best option is to either have 2x 16 Ohm speakers and put them in parallel this would give a total impedance of 8 Ohms, or have 2x 4 Ohm speakers in series you would have a total impedance of 8 Ohms.
Tune 1, Tune 2 and band are used to select the frequency of the radio signals that can be received. There are details on the difference frequency’s that can be received and how to obtain this on page 2 of the following document, http://www.silabs.com/Support%20Documents/TechnicalDocs/AN555.pdf We have set the kit up to receive signals in band 2.
Are you looking for a circuit diagram? A circuit diagram of the kit can be found in the following link on page 7 2157_fm_radio_essentials_2_2.pdf
Unfortunately the amplifier chip that is used on the new FM radio kit has a maximum voltage rating of 6V, as such you wouldn’t be able to run the new version off a 9V power supply. The only option would be to use a 9V power supply for your other circuit and then use a voltage regulator to step this down to the 5V for the FM radio kit. You would be fine using this regulator, 2906-l7805-5v-reg-ic you would need to connect it up as per the diagram on page 4 7805.pdf
Unfortunately this kit isn’t available in a pre-built kit form.
It is possible to add a second 8 Ohm speaker in this kit, however the speaker needs to be connect in parallel with the first speaker.
The 1m of wire is intended for the antenna and for the speakers, we recommend using a piece of wire with a length of around 56cm. The off cut from this is then used to connect the speaker. As for a telescopic antenna we now stock a compatible antenna for the version 2 FM radio 2006-fm-radio-telescopic-antenna-aerial
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.