Kitronik Deluxe Rear Bike Light Kit plus batteries
The Kitronik Deluxe Rear Bike Light Kit is easy to build kit and is an excellent way to learn about the very popular 555 timer IC. The kit uses four ultra bright LEDs that can be operated in two modes; constant and flashing.
A key design aim of the kit was that it should conform to all relevant British Standard measures. Both the flash rate and brightness conform to British Standards for vehicle road lighting (2005), making it ideal for use as a rear bike light. Alternatively, it can be used as a night safety product or flashing eyes.
During testing we connected the kit to 3 x AAA batteries and ran it continuously. At 80 hours of continuous use the LEDs were still lit at full brightness. After 107 hours, although still lit, the brightness had dropped below the level at which you would want to use them. So, we estimate that with brand new batteries you could comfortably run the light for 2 hours of daily commuting for at least an entire month with the LEDs still at full brightness.
- An easy to build rear bike light project that conforms to British Standards for vehicle road lighting (2005) for both brightness and flash rate.
- Learn about the very popular 555 timer IC.
- The kit features 4 x bright LEDs.
- It has two operating modes; continuous and flashing.
- Its compact design makes it the ideal choice for designing custom enclosures.
- 4 x Red 5mm Water Clear LED - 30deg - 9500mCd.
- 1 x On-Off-On Slide Switch.
- 1 x Capacitor, Electrolytic, 50V, 1uF.
- 1 x Capacitor, Ceramic, 50V, 10nF.
- 1 x 220K Resistor.
- 2 x 1K Resistor.
- 4 x 100R Resistor.
- 1 x BAT41 Signal Diode.
- 1 x 2N7000 N Channel FET.
- 1 x IC Socket 8 Pin.
- 1 x NE555 Timer IC.
- 1 x (3 x AAA) Battery Holder with pre-tinned flying leads.
- 1 x Deluxe Rear Bike Light PCB.
- PCB Length: 52.6mm.
- PCB Width: 37.6mm.
- PCB Thickness: 1.6mm.
Teachers can order a sample of this kit (one per school) request a sample kit.
You will need to select the kit from a list of all the sample kits; the stock code for this kit is 2167.
Note: this service is only offered to schools for evaluation purposes only.
This product is designed and manufactured in the UK by Kitronik.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
These fantastic GCSE student designed bike lights were sent in by Amy Downing. Amy is the head of Design and Technology at the British School of the Netherlands and the...
These fantastic GCSE student designed bike lights were sent in by Amy Downing. Amy is the head of Design and Technology at the British School...
How to solder - an introductory guide: If you're new to soldering our Soldering School will have you up and running in no time. What is soldering? Soldering is a...
How to solder - an introductory guide: If you're new to soldering our Soldering School will have you up and running in no time. What...
These free 3D printed deluxe rear bike light cases have been designed to fit our new Rear Bike Light Kit. Now the nights are drawing in, it's time to get...
These free 3D printed deluxe rear bike light cases have been designed to fit our new Rear Bike Light Kit. Now the nights are drawing...
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.