Solar farming. Learn how to harvest and then store energy from the sun with the MonkMakes Solar Experimenters Kit for micro:bit.
With the Solar Experimenters Kit, you will use a practical and experiment-led approach to learn how small amounts of energy can be harvested from the sun, converted to electrical energy and then be stored for later use. Connect the kit to a micro:bit with the included alligator clips and work through the 6 experiments, learning as you go.
The kit is supplied with a; Solar Store board, Solar Panel, bulb, motor with fan, set of alligator clip leads, and a full-colour instruction booklet. First, the booklet gets you set up and acquainted with the parts, then it guides you through your solar farming learning adventure.
There are 6 practical experiments included in the Instruction booklet, designed to be worked through in order. The first three experiments are very basic and are designed to get you familiar with the harvesting concepts and the features of the kit. Once you have a solid grasp of the basics, the final three experiments are more challenging and involved.
The hub of the kit is the Solar Store board. The micro:bit, solar panel, and connected device (bulb, motor) all connect to the Solar Store board. The connections on the board are as follows;
- Charge% (output) – stored charge indicator. A voltage between 0V and 3V that can be connected to a micro:bit pin.
- Level (output) – stored charge (raw). A voltage between 0V and 5V that can be looped directly to the enable pin, to auto-enable when charged. Note: Do not connect to micro:bit
- Enable (input) – enables the power output, so that any stored energy can be used by the attached device.
- Power (input) – provides power to the Solar Store board, primarily so that the Charge% output works. Connect 3V and GND to micro:bit.
- Solar Power (input) – connect this to your Solar Panel to harvest energy, which is stored in the Solar Store. Accepts a voltage up to 10V. Make sure that + goes to the + on the Solar Panel, and - goes to the - on the Solar Panel.
- Power (output) – connect your attached device here. This output is only enabled when the Enable pin is active and there is sufficient stored energy in the Solar Store. The LED (D3) will light when there is enough stored energy.
- Power LED – indicates that power is provided to the Solar Store and the Charge% indicator connection to the micro:bit is working.
As the kit is supplied as a single boxed unit it is also the perfect choice for anyone who wishes to learn about measuring air quality at home.
- micro:bit is not included. A micro:bit can be obtained separately here.
- No soldering is required. All connections are made via convenient alligator clip leads.
- Learn how to harvest and then store energy from the sun with the MonkMakes Solar Experimenters Kit for micro:bit.
- Work through the 6 practical experiments and learn as you go. The experiments included in the booklet are;
- Project 1 – Sun Finder.
- Project 2 – Garden Light.
- Project 3 – Self Charging Cooling Fan.
- Project 4 – Adding an Energy Meter.
- Project 5 – Energy Logger.
- Project 6 – Intelligent Cooling Fan.
- All connections are made via the supplied convenient alligator clip leads.
- No soldering is required.
- The kit is supplied with a full-colour instruction booklet packed full of useful information.
- This kit is supplied with everything you need in order to learn about solar farming in a hands-on way. Just add micro:bit and go!
- This add-on will make the perfect gift for any micro:bit user.
- This kit works with micro:bit V1 & V2.
- Coding examples for MakeCode & MicroPython.
- 1 x Solar Panel.
- 1 x Solar Store board.
- 1 x Bulb.
- 1 x Motor.
- 1 x Propeller (Fan).
- 1 x Set of Alligator Clip Leads.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.