Add an 8 megapixel Sony IMX219 image sensor custom designed add-on board to your Raspberry Pi, featuring a fixed focus lens, with the Raspberry Pi Camera v2.
The Camera Module 2 can be used to take high-definition video, as well as stills photographs. It's capable of 3280 x 2464 pixel static images, and also supports 1080p30, 720p60 and 640x480p60/90 video.
Note - Raspberry Pi 5: It is possible to connect this camera to a Raspberry Pi 5. Due to the different connector types, it is necessary to use a Raspberry Pi camera cable, as shown here.
It’s easy to use for beginners but has plenty to offer advanced users if you’re looking to expand your knowledge. There are lots of examples online of people using it for time-lapse, slow-motion, and other video cleverness.
The Raspberry Pi Camera Module 2 replaced the original Camera Module in April 2016. The v2 Camera Module has a Sony IMX219 8-megapixel sensor (compared to the 5-megapixel OmniVision OV5647 sensor of the original camera). You can read all the gory details about IMX219 and the Exmor R back-illuminated sensor architecture on Sony’s website, but suffice to say this is more than just a resolution upgrade: it’s a leap forward in image quality, colour fidelity, and low-light performance.
It attaches to Pi by way of one of the small sockets on the board's upper surface and uses the dedicated CSI interface, designed especially for interfacing with cameras. The board itself is tiny, at around 25mm x 23mm x 9mm. It also weighs just over 3g, making it perfect for mobile or other applications where size and weight are important. It connects to Raspberry Pi by way of a short ribbon cable.
The camera works with all models of Raspberry Pi 1, 2,3 and 4. It can be accessed through the MMAL and V4L APIs, and there are numerous third-party libraries built for it. The camera module is very popular in home security applications, and in wildlife camera traps.
- Add an 8-megapixel camera to your Raspberry Pi.
- Fixed focus lens onboard.
- 8-megapixel native resolution sensor capable of 3280 x 2464 pixel static images.
- Supports 1080p30, 720p60 and 640x480p90 video.
- Weight just over 3g.
- Connects to the Raspberry Pi board via a short ribbon cable (supplied).
- The camera works with all models of Raspberry Pi 1, 2, 3 and 4.
- Camera v2 is supported in the latest version of Raspbian, Raspberry Pi's preferred operating system.
- Raspberry Pi 5: It is possible to connect this camera to a Raspberry Pi 5. Due to the different connector types, it is necessary to use a Raspberry Pi camera cable, as shown here.
- 1 x Pi Camera v.2.1
- 1 x Ribbon connector cable.
- Length: 25mm.
- Width: 23mm.
- Height: 9mm.
- Any version of Raspberry Pi; 1, 2, 3 and 4.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.