Buy locally from a partner
The MI:sound board is a speaker board for the BBC microbit. It features on-board; speaker, CR2032 battery holder, thumbwheel volume control and an easy access on/off switch. The MI:sound board can either be powered by the CR2032 battery (provided) or via the micro:bit USB or JST connections. It has been designed to work with micro:bit V1 and micro:bit V2.
The speaker on MI:sound can be used in conjunction with the micro:bits onboard speaker or instead of. The micro:bit speaker can be turned off as there is a command/block for that in the MakeCode editor. Why would you want to? Volume! MI:sound's speaker is loud, and the potentiometer gives you control over its volume without the need to head back into the code. Super convenient!
To use the MI:sound speaker board, the BBC micro:bit should be attached using the supplied bolts, spacers and nuts. Only Pin 0, 3V and GND need to be connected. Crocodile clips can also be used.
When assembled, the MI:sound board is connected directly to the 3V, GND and P0 connections on the micro:bit. The 3V and GND connections provide power to the micro:bit and the built in buzzer is connected to P0, which is the default output pin when using the audio functions in the MakeCode software. The board has an easy to access on/off switch, which makes it easy to turn a project on and off.
MI:power or MI:sound?
Like the MI:power board, MI:sound offers an elegant solution for micro:bit projects on the move. Both boards provide power to micro:bit, feature an on/off switch and allow you to output sound. Sound though is a much bigger feature on the MI:sound board. Where the MI:power board features a buzzer, MI:sound has an actual speaker with a thumbwheel volume control. Not only is the speaker more versatile than a simple sounder, it is also much much louder. So, in brief; the MI:power board is more compact and MI:sound is better for projects where sound is an integral part of the project.
- Power your BBC micro:bit from a stylish PCB.
- It features an on-board speaker and it's loud!
- There is a thumb wheel operated potentiometer volume control.
- There is an onboard CR2032 battery holder.
- The board features easy access on/off switch.
- Designed to work with micro:bit V1 and micro:bit V2.
- 1 x MI:Sound speaker board for BBC micro:bit V2.
- 3 x 12mm M3 Countersunk Screw.
- 3 x M3 Steel Nuts.
- 3 x Nylon Spacers.
- 1 x CR2032 Coin Cell.
- Length: 51.6mm.
- Width: 43.0mm.
- Height: 27.5mm.
This product is designed and manufactured in the UK by Kitronik.
Coin cells should be kept out of the reach of small children as they are very dangerous if swallowed, when immediate medical intervention is required.
|Voltage Rating||+3.3V max.|
|Typical Current Draw (powered using CR2032 coin cell)||46.6mA (playing music at max volume).|
|Speaker output at max volume (powered using CR2032 coin cell)||≈60dB at 0.3m.|
|Typical Current Draw (powered via BBC micro:bit)||129 mA.|
|Speaker output at max volume (powered via BBC micro:bit USB)||≈75dB at 0.3m.|
|Typical battery life||> 8 hours.|
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.