Kitronik Learn to Solder Surface Mount Kit plus USB power lead
Kitronik Learn to Solder Surface Mount Kit plus USB power lead and mains USB power supply
Our learn to solder surface mount kit is an excellent introduction to surface mount soldering. The pack provides all of the parts and PCB required to make a lamp just like the 5V Mini LED Lamp Module. Each pack comprises; 3 x surface mount LEDs, 3 x surface mount Resistors, and 1 x PCB.
This kit has been designed to give students soldering experience, with simple surface mount component placement. Surface mount components are designed so that the component is mounted on to the surface of the board and the solder joints are made across the surfaces of the PCB and components. This is different to through-hole components, where the component legs are placed through the PCB and the solder joint is made through the board. Testing of a completed board is as simple by soldering a battery supply or USB supply to the PCB and visually inspecting the solder joints.
Once built, the resulting 5V Mini LED Lamp Module is the perfect board for anyone who wishes to design a low power lighting enclosure, such as a desk lamp or accent light. The board comes fully assembled and all of the components are surface mounted, including the LEDs.
Both the project kit and the supporting material have been carefully designed for use in KS3 Design and Technology lessons. The project kit has been designed so that even teachers with a limited knowledge of electronics should have no trouble using it as a basis from which they can form a scheme of work.
The board has been specifically designed so that its power requirements are well within the supply rating of a computer USB port (5V and well under 100mA). The board also features two power connection pads with a 2.54mm pitch which are compatible with standard 2.54mm pin headers. Additionally, the board also features a single central M3 (4.5mm) mounting hole.
- All you need to learn how to solder surface mount components.
- The finished kit can easily be tested by attaching a 5V supply to the board.
- Designed KS3 Design & Technology lessons.
- The kit is supplied with 5 LEDs and 5 resistors. The build uses three of each, with two of each as spares.
- 5 x Surface Mount LEDs.
- 5 x Surface Mount 100ohm Resistors
- 1 x Tweezer set, 4 piece.
- 5 x M3 Hex Full Width Nut.
- 1 x Learn to Solder Surface Mount PCB.
Dimensions (when complete):
- Circumscribed Diameter: 20mm.
- Pad Pitch: 2.54mm.
- Mounting Hole Diameter: 4.5mm.
- PCB Height: 1.6mm.
- Max Height: 3mm.
- Soldering Iron.
- Wire Cutters.
- Tweezers- Supplied with kit.
- De-soldering tool.
- Helping hands.
Teachers can order a sample of this kit (one per school) here.
You will need to select the kit from a list of all the sample kits; the stock code for this kit is 2171.
Note: this service is only offered to schools for evaluation purposes only.
This product is designed and manufactured in the UK by Kitronik.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate click here.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer click here.
How to solder - an introductory guide: If you're new to soldering our Soldering School will have you up and running in no time. What is soldering? Soldering is a...
How to solder - an introductory guide: If you're new to soldering our Soldering School will have you up and running in no time. What...
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.