The MonkMakes Plant Monitor Board is a capacitive moisture probe/meter with additional built-in temperature and relative humidity measurement. It is compatible with micro:bit, Raspberry Pi, Arduino, Pico, and most other microcontroller boards.
The board features alligator/crocodile clip rings for use with BBC micro:bit and Adafruit Clue, and ready-soldered header pins for Arduino and other microcontroller boards. Additionally, it has an easy-to-use UART serial interface, additional analogue out for moisture only, and a built-in RGB LED.
In use: The front side of the prong should be as close to the edge of the pot as possible, with the electronics facing out of the pot and the prong pushed into the soil only as far as the white line. Once powered up the plant monitor board will immediately begin displaying the 'wetness' via the built-in LED. Red means dry and green means wet.
Coding: The microcontroller that you choose to use with the MonkMakes plant monitor will determine which coding language you will use. There are detailed guides available for download which cover the following languages; The BBC micro:bit (Makecode), The Raspberry Pi 4 (Python), The Raspberry Pi Pico (MicroPython), and Arduino (Arduino C - SoftSerial). The guides can be downloaded from the resources section below.
- Do not connect this board to the 5V pin of the Raspberry Pi. The board is designed to operate at 3.3V and a 5V supply is likely to destroy it.
- Since the Raspberry Pi does not have analogue inputs, then the only interface option is to use the serial UART interface. This interface has to be enabled on the Raspberry Pi from the Raspberry Pi Configuration tool that you will find in the Preferences section of the Start menu.
- Superior capacitative sensor (no electrical contact with soil)
- Alligator/crocodile clip rings (for use with BBC micro:bit and Adafruit Clue.
- Ready soldered header pins for Arduino and other microcontroller boards.
- Easy to use UART serial interface.
- Additional analogue output for moisture only.
- Built-in RGB LED
- Extensive guides are available to download that cover all aspects of using the board, including coding.
- There are instructions for using this board with
- 1 x Monk Makes - Plant Monitor Board.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.