Buy locally from a partner
Kitronik RTC Board plus coin cell batteries
Kitronik RTC Board plus coin cell batteries and micro:bit
If you haven't yet got the time for your BBC microbit projects, the Kitronik RTC Board has come to the rescue! Add Real Time Clock capabilities to the BBC micro:bit with the Kitronik RTC Board. You can use it to create clocks or to add time functionality to your micro:bit projects.
The board produces a regulated 3V supply that is fed into the edge connector to power the inserted BBC micro:bit, removing the need to power the BBC micro:bit directly. The coin cell holder allows a CR2032 battery to power the real time clock to continue keeping time whilst there is no mains power being supplied to the board and BBC micro:bit.
Power to the board can be supplied either via the Terminal blocks or the boards USB connector. Note: This USB connector is only for power supply and not for data transfer.
The micro:bit RTC also has an expansion port for adding additional I2C devices with a 3V supply (for example, an OLED display), and another for extra ZIP LEDs (for example, a ZIP Sticks).
Kitronik have added custom blocks for the RTC board to the Microsoft MakeCode editor. The blocks can be added to the editor by; clicking the cog in the top right of the editor. Then select 'Add Package' from the drop down menu. This will open a dialog box with a search field, type Kitronik into the search field. This will bring all of our custom block sets, scroll down to the RTC blocks and select them. The blocks will now be added to your menu and can be used in your programs.
- Add Real Time Clock capabilities to the BBC micro:bit.
- The coincell battery ensures that the RTC board continues to keep time when the board is not connected to a power source.
- It features and expansion port for 3v I2C devices, such as an OLED display or ZIP LEDs.
- Write code using the MakeCode Editor.
- Code with ease, courtesy of the custom blocks that have added to the MakeCode Editor.
- When the RTC board is powered, it will also power the inserted microbit.
- 1 x Kitronik RTC Board.
- Length: 67.5mm.
- Width: 62mm.
- Height (without micro:bit): 17.6mm.
This product is designed and manufactured in the UK by Kitronik.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
Thank you for your question, you do not need to enable the LEDs. You would control them from Pin 0 in the same manner as the blog below.
We address the RTC board through an I2C chip I believe. You could in theory use the 4616 clock board with make code but you would need to code your own blocks, address your pins and so on which would be quite involved. It's cheaper and easier to use our clock board that we have set up to work with make code.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.