Unlock the secrets of nature with code, engineering, and the Environmental Control Board for micro:bit!
The Kitronik environmental control board provides a variety of sensor inputs and connection points for the BBC micro:bit (V1 & V2) and provides the ability to control outputs for devices such as a water pump, fan, servo or heater pad. This makes it ideal for feedback control systems. This board is also supplied as part of the Kitronik Smart Greenhouse Kit.
The BBC microbit slots directly into the board via an integrated edge connector. The micro:bit can then read input from the onboard BME 280 environmental temperature, barometric pressure and humidity sensor and also the Real-Time Clock. There is an onboard piezo buzzer, 2 x 1A outputs (ideal for a water pump, heater pads or fan), 3 status ZIP LEDs, a ZIP LED expansion connector and servo output. In addition to these, 3 BBC micro:bit pins are broken out to croc-clip connections as further inputs and outputs, along with pads for 3V and GND.
Power is provided via the onboard 3xAA battery holder or the 2.1mm DC Jack. There is an on/off switch for controlling power supply to the board and there is a green LED to indicate when the board has been turned on. The board also produces a regulated 3V supply which is fed into the edge connector to power the inserted BBC micro:bit, removing the need to power the BBC micro:bit separately.
The board also features a solar cell input and will charge rechargeable batteries if inserted into the onboard battery holder. Renewable energy is becoming increasingly important and this board can be used to help illustrate greener ways of delivering desired outcomes.
The environmental control board can be coded with the MakeCode editor and Kitronik have produced a set of custom blocks to make the job as simple as possible. There are blocks for reading input and for controlling additional devices such as a pump. This can be added via the add Extensions function in the editor by searching “Kitronik” or from https://github.com/KitronikLtd/pxt-kitronik-smart-greenhouse. The supplied datasheet has detailed coding advice, so much so that the beginner will have no difficulties following along.
- Build automated systems that react to environmental changes, such as plant watering and greenhouse systems.
- It is compatible with both micro:bit V1 and microbit V2.
- The board features a number of sensor inputs that can be coded to control the board's outputs.
- There is an onboard BME 280 environmental temperature, barometric pressure and humidity sensor and a separate Real-Time Clock (RTC).
- The board also features an onboard piezo buzzer, 2 x 1A outputs (ideal for a water pump, heater pads or fan), 3 status ZIP LEDs, a ZIP LED expansion connector and servo output. In addition to these, 3 BBC micro:bit pins are broken out to croc-clip connections as further inputs and outputs, along with pads for 3V and GND.
- It can be powered via the onboard 3xAA battery holder or the 2.1mm DC Jack, and the power controlled via the on/off switch with an adjacent LED indicator.
- There is also a solar-cell input that can be used in conjunction with rechargeable batteries.
- The board produces a regulated 3V supply for powering the micro:bit via its edge connector i/o connections.
- Code it with MakeCode. Kitronik has produced custom blocks to make the job of coding the board as simple as possible, opening up activities for younger students.
- This board is also available as part of the Kitronik Smart Greenhouse Kit.
- 1 x Environmental board for greenhouse kit.
- Length: 74.5mm.
- Width: 66mm.
- Height: 29mm.
- A BBC micro:bit V1 or microbit V2.
- 3 x AA Batteries or plug-in power supply with USB to DC Jack.
- Optional Extras;
- Seven online MakeCode tutorials for the Kitronik Smart Greenhouse Kit;
- A - Visual Thermometer.
- B - ZIP LED hue.
- C - Auto-watering.
- D - Growlight.
- E - Timed watering.
- F - Water level sensing.
- G - Datalogging.
- Adding a Solar Panel to the Kitronik Smart Greenhouse.
This product is designed and manufactured in the UK by Kitronik.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.