Buy locally from a partner
Smart Greenhouse Kit plus USB to DC jack power lead
Smart Greenhouse Kit plus micro:bit
Smart Greenhouse Kit plus Solar power kit
Unlock the secrets of nature with code, engineering, and the Kitronik Smart Greenhouse Kit for BBC micro:bit!
The Kitronik Smart Greenhouse Kit for the BBC micro:bit provides an exciting way to learn about the relationship between plants and their environment. The user will learn how to monitor environmental conditions and then how to build automated systems that react to them. Grow a crop of plants with this smart greenhouse that can be coded to monitor and automatically water them so that you can get them growing perfectly. This kit is compatible with both the micro:bit V1 and the new microbit V2, available separately.
The kit comprises a two-part plastic greenhouse, Kitronik environmental control board, water pump, Kitronik ZIP Stick, and Mini Prong soils moisture sensor. Also included are 5 crocodile clips, ZIP extension cable and a small screwdriver. Just add a micro:bit, seeds, and then some water and you will have everything you need!
The kit also ships with detailed assembly and coding instructions that will get you up and cultivating in no time. There are also 7 online MakeCode tutorials that build in complexity as you progress through them. They cover everything from gathering sensor data and having the system automatically react to it, to visual user interfaces and more. It is recommended that the user/student complete the tutorials in order for the best learning experience.
At the heart of the micro:bit controlled Kitronik Smart Greenhouse Kit is the Kitronik environmental control board. This board provides a variety of sensor inputs and connection points for the BBC micro:bit (V1 & V2) and provides the ability to control outputs for devices such as a water pump, fan, servo or heater pad. This makes it ideal for feedback control systems, such as the smart greenhouse kit.
The environmental control board can be coded with the MakeCode editor and Kitronik have produced a set of custom blocks to make the job as simple as possible. There are blocks for reading input and for controlling additional devices such as a pump. This can be added via the add Extensions function in the editor by searching “Kitronik” or from https://github.com/KitronikLtd/pxt-kitronik-smart-greenhouse.
The default crop for these types of experiments is often cress, as it is quick growing, requires little tending, and can be harvested when they are approximately 5cm tall (within a few days). Cress is also practically a superfood, this alone could easily become the subject of an entire lesson. Despite all of its benefits, cress is not the only option. There are other sprouting plants, such as sprouting white mustard, which also grows quickly and can be harvested when they are 5cm tall. You can also look into micro-herbs/micro-greens, these too are usually ready to harvest within a week and offer an excellent and aromatic alternative. Once you have chosen your preferred crop type you then need to choose a suitable soil.
- Build automated growing systems that react to changeable environmental conditions with the Kitronik Greenhouse Kit.
- This kit is compatible with both micro:bit V1 and microbit V2.
- The kit comes with detailed assembly and coding instructions.
- At the heart of the kit is the kitronik Environmental control board that was specifically designed to be the control hub for this kit.
- Key features of the Environmental control board are;
- The board features a number of sensor inputs that can be coded to control the board's outputs.
- There is an onboard BME 280 environmental temperature, barometric pressure and humidity sensor and a separate Real-Time Clock (RTC).
- The board also features an onboard piezo buzzer, 2 1A outputs (ideal for a water pump, heater pads or fan), 3 status ZIP LEDs, a ZIP LED expansion connector and servo output. In addition to these, 3 BBC micro:bit pins are broken out to croc-clip connections as further inputs and outputs, along with pads for 3V and GND.
- It can be powered via the onboard 3xAA battery holder or the 2.1mm DC Jack, and the power controlled via the on/off switch with an adjacent LED indicator.
- There are also 7 online MakeCode tutorials that introduce you to all of the features of the board.
- Crops such as cress, sprouting white mustard and micro-herbs/micro-greens are ideal for use with this kit.
- Code it with the MakeCode editor using the Kitronik custom code blocks for the Environmental control board.
- The Kit can be powered by 3 x AA Batteries or a plug-in power supply.
- 2 x Moulded plastic greenhouse enclosure parts.
- 1 x Kitronik Environmental Control Board for micro:bit.
- 1 x Water Pump.
- 1 x Kitronik ZIP Stick.
- 1 x Mini Prong Moisture Sensor.
- 5 x Crocodile Leads.
- 1 x ZIP extension cable.
- 1 x Screwdriver.
- User guide Booklet, containing assembly and coding instructions.
- A web browser and an internet connection.
- One of the following;
- 3 x AA Batteries or plug-in power supply.
- Seeds, such as cress.
- Environmental Control Board Datasheet.
- Mini Prong general safety advice.
- This example code. Monitors temperature, humidity, soil moisture, and makes use of the LEDs/ZIP LEDs.
- Seven online MakeCode tutorials for the Kitronik Smart Greenhouse Kit;
- A - Visual Thermometer.
- B - ZIP LED hue.
- C - Auto-watering.
- D - Growlight.
- E - Timed watering.
- F - Water level sensing.
- G - Datalogging.
- Adding a Solar Panel to the Environmental Control Board.
- Tech Talks - live stream playback.
This product is designed and manufactured in the UK by Kitronik.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
A wide range of BBC micro:bit resources, what it is, the editors and using the micro:bit
A wide range of BBC micro:bit resources, what it is, the editors and using the micro:bit
We have created a series of online MakeCode tutorials to introduce you to the features of the Environmental control board for the Greenhouse kit. The environmental control board sits at...
We have created a series of online MakeCode tutorials to introduce you to the features of the Environmental control board for the Greenhouse kit. The...
The sun provides a huge potential source of energy for our planet. Average solar energy falling on the planet is around 1300 W/m2. This is roughly the equivalent energy to...
The sun provides a huge potential source of energy for our planet. Average solar energy falling on the planet is around 1300 W/m2. This is...
Emma shows you how to make a custom enclosure for the Kitronik smart greenhouse kit for the BBC micro:bit. Maybe you want to grow a taller crop or maybe you...
Emma shows you how to make a custom enclosure for the Kitronik smart greenhouse kit for the BBC micro:bit. Maybe you want to grow a...
Greenhouses are used for growing plants. Plant rely on an amount of sunlight to grow, and so we can also use some of this sunlight to power the control system....
Greenhouses are used for growing plants. Plant rely on an amount of sunlight to grow, and so we can also use some of this sunlight...
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.