Kitronik Solar Power Starter Kit plus multi-stranded wire
Kitronik Solar Power Starter Kit plus multi-stranded wire and FM radio kit
Learn how to harness the energy of the sun in your Electronics and Design and Technology projects with our new Solar Power Starter Kit. With this kit it is possible to build a simple solar charging and power supply system for a variety of useful low power devices.
As of 2017, renewable energy accounted for more than 25% of energy produced in the UK for the year. Environmental targets are such that this is set to increase year on year. Solar power is already a key player in the renewable energy market and there is the potential for it to grow much larger still. It has been estimated that covering just a fraction of the Sahara Desert in solar panels would provide enough electricity to power the energy needs of the whole world!
The Solar Power Starter kit itself is a simple kit to build and understand. Once the kit has been set up and placed in direct sunlight the batteries will begin to charge. If the light level is insufficient to facilitate charging, the diode prevents any of the charge held in the batteries from discharging back through the solar cell. The supplied switch enables you cut power to the kit that you are powering for greater recharging efficiency.
If used with the included Kitronik LED Desk Lamp Kit, for example, fully charged batteries will provide light for up to 17 hours, more than enough for a little light reading.
- This kit requires assembly and some soldering.
- The kit does not contain any connecting wire, you will need to use wire like Multi-stranded Wire.
- Harness the energy of the sun and add simple solar charging and power supply to your low power devices.
- Learn about renewable energy and how simple it can be incorporate into your designs.
- A Small Signal Schottky Diode is supplied to protect against accidental discharging of the batteries through the solar cell.
- Examples of Kitronik kits that can be used in conjunction with the Solar Power kit are;
- 1 x 5.0V 130mA Polycrystalline Solar Cell.
- 1 x BAT41 Signal Diode.
- 1 x SPST Toggle Switch.
- 1 x 5V LED Desk Lamp Kit.
- 1 x 3x AA Battery Holder with Flying Leads.
- 3 x Rechargeable AA Battery (1300mA/h).
Solar Cell Dimensions:
- Length: 58mm.
- Width: 110mm.
- Height: 3mm.
This product is designed and manufactured in the UK by Kitronik.
|Solar Cell Output Current||Nominal|
|Battery Nominal Voltage||3.6V.|
|Charging Time (Flat to Full Capacity) Min.||10 hours (UK Full Sun in June for 12 hours)|
|Lamp Kit Supply Voltage Range||2.5V - 5.5V.|
|Lamp Kit Nominal Voltage||5.0V.|
|Max. Current at Nominal Voltage||175mA.|
|Max Current at 3.6V (Nominal Battery Voltage)||75mA.|
|Estimated Light Running Time (Fully Charged Battery To Flat)||17 Hours.|
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
How to solder - an introductory guide: If you're new to soldering our Soldering School will have you up and running in no time. What is soldering? Soldering is a...
How to solder - an introductory guide: If you're new to soldering our Soldering School will have you up and running in no time. What...
Thank you for your question, you can leave it for quite a while but if you keep overcharging the batteries it will not be good for them and you are likely to damage the batteries or battery cage. If you are discharging the batteries pretty regularly with the radio that should be fine though.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.