Buy locally from a partner
The Kitronik USB Torch Kit is a through-hole soldering kit that has been developed for use in KS3 Design and Technology lessons. The project kit has been designed so that even teachers with limited knowledge of electronics should have no trouble using it as a basis from which they can form a scheme of work. There is full documentation available in the resources section towards the bottom of this page, which covers everything from the theory to the construction.
The kit can be used in two ways. Either on its own as a way of introducing electronics and electronic construction to students over a number of lessons. Or, as part of a larger project involving all aspects of product design, such as designing an enclosure for the electronics to fit into. There are 4 x M3 mounting holes, one at each corner of the PCB, to make for more sturdy enclosure designs.
Once built, you can think of the torch's circuit as having two sections. The first section is the energy storage section and the second is the energy usage section. The switch joins the two sections of the circuit together and when engaged allows the capacitors to discharge into the LED. Five minutes of charging should result in 5 - 10 minutes of LED illumination.
- Learn about soldering and electronics.
- It has been developed for use in KS3 Design and Technology lessons
- The PCB has mounting holes for secure fixing to enclosure designs.
- The kit can be used as a way of introducing electronics and electronic construction to students over a number of lessons.
- Or, as part of a larger project involving all aspects of product design, such as designing an enclosure for the electronics to fit into.
- 1 x BAT41 Signal Diode.
- 2 x Electrolytic Super Capacitors, 2.7V 6.3mm diameter.
- 1 x White 5mm Water Clear LED - 25deg - 2250mCd.
- 1 x 150R CR25 0.25W carbon film resistor with 5% tolerance.
- 1 x Flat Profile Tact Switch.
- 1 x USB Connector.
- A USB Torch Kit PCB.
- Length: 62mm.
- Width: 30mm.
- Max Height: 18mm.
Teachers can order a sample of this kit (one per school) request a sample kit.
You will need to select the kit from a list of all the sample kits; the stock code for this kit is 2178.
Note: this service is only offered to schools for evaluation purposes only.
This product is designed and manufactured in the UK by Kitronik.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
How to solder - an introductory guide: If you're new to soldering our Soldering School will have you up and running in no time. What is soldering? Soldering is a...
How to solder - an introductory guide: If you're new to soldering our Soldering School will have you up and running in no time. What...
One of our newest products is the Kitronik USB Rechargeable Torch Kit: a through-hole soldering kit designed to charge fast and provide a fun design challenge. Emma made this simple enclosure...
One of our newest products is the Kitronik USB Rechargeable Torch Kit: a through-hole soldering kit designed to charge fast and provide a fun design...
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.