This step-up/step-down voltage regulator S7V7F5 is a switching regulator (also called a switched-mode power supply (SMPS) or DC-to-DC converter) that uses a buck-boost topology. It takes an input voltage from 2.7V to 11.8V and increases or decreases the voltage to a fixed 5V output with a typical efficiency of over 90%.
This flexibility in input voltage is especially well-suited for battery-powered applications in which the battery voltage begins above 5V and drops below as the battery discharges. Without the typical restriction on the battery voltage staying above the required voltage throughout its life, new battery packs and form factors can be considered. For instance, a 4-cell battery holder, which might have a 6V output with fresh alkalines but a 4.8V nominal voltage with NiMH cells and a 4.0V output with partially discharged cells, can now be used for a 5V circuit. In another typical scenario, a disposable 9V battery powering a 5V circuit can be discharged to under 3V instead of cutting out at 6V, as with typical linear or step-down regulators.
In typical applications, this regulator can deliver about 1A continuous when the input voltage is higher than 5V (stepping down) and 500mA continuous when the input is lower than 5V (stepping up); please see the graphs at the bottom of this page for a more detailed characterization. The regulator has short-circuit protection, and thermal shutdown prevents damage from overheating; the board does not have reverse-voltage protection.
- Input voltage: 2.7V to 11.8V.
- Fixed 5V output with +5/-3% accuracy.
- Typical continuous output current: 1A when stepping down; 500mA when stepping up (Actual continuous output current depends on input voltage. See Typical Efficiency and Output Current section below for details).
- Power-saving feature maintains high efficiency at low currents (quiescent current is less than 0.1mA).
- Integrated over-temperature and short-circuit protection.
- Small size: 9 × 12 × 3 mm.
- 1 x 5V Step Up/Step-down Voltage Regulator.
- 1 x 3 pin headers of 2.54mm pitch - Straight.
- 1 x 3 pin headers of 2.54mm pitch - right angled.
- The step-up/step-down regulator has just three connections: the input voltage (VIN), ground (GND), and the output voltage (VOUT). These three connections are labeled on the back side of the PCB, and they are arranged with a 2.54mm spacing along the edge of the board for compatibility with standard solderless breadboards and perfboards and connectors that use a 2.54mm grid. You can solder wires directly to the board or solder in either the 3×1 straight male header strip or the 3×1 right-angle male header strip that is included.
- PCB Length: 9mm.
- PCB Width: 12mm.
- PCB Height: 3mm.
Pololu Stock Code:
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.