DescriptionMake your room come alive this winter with our 3D Printed LED Christmas Tree. You can brighten your desk with this fun themed simple ornament which uses our Colour Changing LED Kit.
Learn how to:
- Download and print a pre-made 3D Printing design and turn it into an LED Christmas Tree decoration.
Level of Difficulty:
- Intermediate - Some knowledge of 3D Printing and soldering is useful.
Parts List:In order to create your own 3D Printed LED Christmas Tree decoration, you will need:
- Clear or see-through 3D Printing Filament (Clear ColorFABB gives the best results. You can also use Crystal Clear ABS (as used in this tutorial) or Natural Clear PLA filament),
- Colour Changing Night Light Kit.
You will also need the following equipment:
- Robox 3D Printer.
- Computer with AutoMaker software installed.
- A screwdriver or small drill.
- Wire strippers.
- Soldering iron.
Step-by-step guide to making a laser-cut decoration:
Step 1MyMiniFactory for this Christmas Tree design) on to your computer connected to your 3D Printer.
Step 2Import your .STL file into your 3D Printer's software (we are using CEL's AutoMaker designed specifically for the Robox 3D Printer. You can open it into Autodesk's Meshmixer if you would like to see what it looks like and tweak it slightly.
Step 3Print your 3D model on your 3D Printer (our Christmas Tree was printed using Crystal Clear ABS filament on 'draft' settings with 0% fill (you can see how to change the settings on your Robox 3D Printer with this useful guide from CEL. Our Christmas Tree print took approximately 1hr 20 mins.
Step 5Drill a 3mm (approx) hole in the side of the 3D printed model using a small drill.
Step 6Using wire cutters, remove approximately 2cm from the end of the USB cables so the wire fits through the hole you have just made.
Step 7Solder together your Project Kit with the LED soldered to the main PCB, leaving out the USB/battery cables.
Step 9Plug your USB cable in to an available USB slot on your laptop or from a USB power supply to light up your very own 3D printed LED Christmas Tree!
©Kitronik Ltd – You may print this page & link to it, but must not copy the page or part thereof without Kitronik's prior written consent.