Learn how to:
- Make a soft component that can function as a battery holder within an e-textiles system.
Level of difficulty:
- Intermediate - you will need some previous knowledge of e-textiles as well as some basic textiles knowledge
Materials & components you will need:
- 2 pockets of non-conductive fabric (felt).
- 2 strips of conductive fabric.
- 2 strips of Vilene Bondaweb.
- Conductive Thread.
- Non-Conductive Thread.
- 3V Coin Cell.
You will also need the following equipment:
- Large eye needle.
- Sewing machine (lock-stitch).
- Optional laser cutter files (.dxf) (below).
Stage 1Cut out 2 fabric pockets.
Stage 2Attach conductive fabric to each pocket using Vilene Bondaweb.
Stage 3Hand stitch, using conductive thread, a connection between the conductive fabric and the inside of the pocket fabric. Make sure the conductive thread is attached to one of the conductive fabric strips for conductivity.
Stage 4Machine stitch the two pockets together using non-conductive thread making sure there is enough space inside for the 3V Coin Cell battery.
Download the laser cuter files here (.dxf).
This project was funded by the European Regional Development Fund and produced by Nottingham Trent University's Secondary Design and Technology Education Department.
©Kitronik Ltd – You may print this page & link to it, but must not copy the page or part thereof without Kitronik's prior written consent.