Buy the Kitronik Edge Connector with a BBC micro:bit
Buy the Kitronik Edge Connector with a micro:bit Starter Kit
Looking to do more with your BBC micro:bit? Unlock its potential with this Edge Connector Breakout Board! This breakout board has been designed to offer an easy way to connect additional circuits and hardware to the pins on the edge of the BBC micro:bit. It provides access to all of the BBC micro:bit processor pins allowing a lot of extra functionality to be added. The datasheet (below) includes a helpful diagram explaining the function of every pin on the BBC micro:bit.
This Edge Connector Breakout Board for the BBC micro:bit gives access to all of the important pins on the bottom edge of the BBC micro:bit. 21 pins are broken out in total; providing additional I/O lines, direct access to buttons A and B, the LED matrix outputs and the I2C bus. Please refer to the datasheet below for more details.
The BBC micro:bit pins are broken out to a row of solderable pads. The SCL and SDA pins are separated at the edge of the board providing easy identification. The PCB includes a prototyping area with 3V, 0V and unconnected rows that can be soldered to. This allows the easy connection of switches, sensors and any pull-up or pull-down resistors etc. as required.
If you are looking for inspiration, look no further than these examples using the Edge Connector for the BBC micro:bit:
- The breakout board is used in our Collision Detection Buggy that makes use of the extra I/O available.
- We've also used this Edge Connector for the BBC micro:bit in our Inventor's Kit for the BBC micro:bit to make connecting up these experiments a breeze.
To use the breakout board the BBC micro:bit should be inserted firmly into the connector as shown below:
- This kit requires assembly.
- This kit requires soldering.
- This product is also available in a pre-built version.
- Breaks out 21 pins from the Edge Connector for the BBC micro:bit, allowing the connection of extra components to add new functionality.
- Dedicated prototyping area with 3V and 0V rows.
- Labelled pins and clear straightforward documentation.
- 1 x Edge Connector PCB for the BBC micro:bit.
- 1 x Edge Connector for the BBC micro:bit.
Possible applications include:
- Accessing additional pins and functionality on the BBC micro:bit.
- Trying out one of the experiments detailed in the Inventors kit for BBC micro:bit.
- Length: 60mm.
- Width: 40mm.
- Height: 11.8mm.
Teachers can order a sample of this kit (one per school) here.
You will need to select the kit from a list of all the sample kits; the stock code for this kit is 5601.
Note: this service is only offered to schools for evaluation purposes only.
This product is designed and manufactured in the UK by Kitronik.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate click here.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer click here.
Firstly thank you for pointing this out, we were aware of this error and we are in the process of changing the diagram shown on the product page. We hope to update this shortly.
Where Do I find the schematics of the micro:bit? (I need to know which pins connect to each output), thanks
The following datasheet shows what pins on the BBC micro:bit relate to the pin on the breakout board via a number, you need to look at page 2 https://www.kitronik.co.uk/pdf/5601_edge_connector_breakout_board_for_the_bbc_microbit_datasheet_1_0.pdf
We would always advise that all the pins are soldered together, however as a minimum we would recommend that the first two rows are completely soldering, and then a selection from the back row are also soldered in.
We are currently in the process of uploading an image which shows the dimensions of the product. However in the meantime I have emailed a copy to you.
The connector itself has 80 pins, the BBC micro:bit that it is designed to fit only uses 40 pins, of those only 22 or so are broken out as not all of the pins have functions we expect people to want to use.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.