This item has been replaced by Motor Driver Board for the BBC micro:bit - V2
This board provides a simple way to add motor driving capability to a BBC micro:bit. It allows two motors to be driven with full forward, reverse & stop control. It has terminal blocks to connect four input devices and a regulated 3V supply is fed in to the 80 way connector to power the inserted BBC micro:bit.
This makes it ideal for designs such as buggies (see below).
It includes an integrated Edge Connector slot for your BBC micro:bit to easily slot into. It also features external connections to the Buttons A and B inputs. This allows additional switches to be connected to the motor driver board and the state of these can then be read by the BBC micro:bit.
Get up to speed quickly. Example Microsoft TouchDevelop code and example connections in the datasheet (below).
- Drive 2 motors with full forward, reverse and stop control.
- Terminal blocks for easy connection of motors and inputs.
- 4 inputs (2 analogue inputs and 2 provide external connections to Buttons A and B as inputs).
- Includes Edge Connector for the BBC micro:bit to slot into.
- Provide regulated power to the BBC micro:bit.
- 1 x Edge Connector Motor Driver Board for the BBC micro:bit.
- Length: 67mm.
- Width: 53mm.
- Height: 18mm.
- 1 x BBC micro:bit.
- 4.5 - 6V Power Supply.
- 2 x DC Motors (that are compatible with the power supply used).
- 1 x Flat-headed Terminal Screwdriver.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
Thank you for your question. You can control speed on the motors with this board so I am a little confused by the question. We have a set of custom blocks that you can add in the blockly editor for precisely that.
It is a little difficult to code changing speed for the micro:bit because it uses a 3 channel PWM but the block code should stop that being an issue.
Please could you give me price for professionnal without VAT ? (I am located in France)
What is you delivery time for 15 products ?
If you create and account and then email us with your VAT number we can set you up to see pricing without VAT.
Hello Chris, Input 1 or P1 isn’t linked to 3V’s, although the box use the same terminal block the two connects aren’t linked at all. The 3V’s powers the board and provides power for the BBC micro:bit, P! is an input/output pin that either sends or receives signals to the BBC micro:bit.
Hi Geoff, We don’t currently have a CAD file for the motor driver board. We are in the process of introducing a new version so it may be once this introduction is complete a CAD file might be created.
Hi Stephen, Currently the motor driver can only drive two motors, and as such we don’t have a product that can drive 5 motors.
You can use PWM with Pin 0 currently, the other three pins where motors are connected can’t use PWM. We are looking into the feasibility of using all PWM pins in future versions, however this is not going to happen in the near future.
Currently the only pin that can be used in this way is Pin 0, so you would be able to analogue write to pin0 and set pin16 low, connecting the positive of the motor to pin0. Unfortunately you can’t analogue write to pin16, pin8 or pin12. We are looking at altering this on a new version of the motor driver board so that all four motor pins can use the PWM function.
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.