We are excited to announce the new version of the Raspberry Pi, the Raspberry Pi 5! Everyone's favourite single-board computer is back, and this time it's 2-3x faster and features a significant uplift in GPU performance, alongside improvements to camera, display, and USB interfacing. These interfacing improvements are delivered by the RP1 I/O controller chip, designed at Raspberry Pi HQ. For the first time, there is Raspberry Pi silicon on a flagship product!
As an official Raspberry Pi reseller, Kitronik will be stocking the Raspberry Pi 5 computers (4GB and 8GB), Desktop Kits and other essential Pi 5 accessories. Stock will be available from the end of next month, you can set up an email notification on each of the included product pages. See below for more details.
The Raspberry Pi 5:
Building on phenomenal success of the Raspberry Pi 4, and previous models, the RPi 5 sees significant improvements in performance while retaining full backwards compatibility. The board dimensions and on-board GPIO are the same as previous models and despite upgrades the general layout of the board will be instantly familiar.
The Raspberry Pi 5 is a quad-core computer that can drive 2 x 4k monitors, has 4GB of RAM, Gigabit Ethernet, with PoE+ support, USB3.0, wireless LAN, Bluetooth 5.0, and more! It has all of the specs and the raw performance normally found on desktop PCs.
Raspberry Pi 5 Technical Features, at a glance:
- The Raspberry Pi 5 is the latest model of everyone's favourite single-board computer.
- Pi 5 sees significant upgrades and speed increases (2-3x in CPU performance) over its predecessor, the Raspberry Pi 4 Model B. A full feature comparison can be found here.
- The board is available in both 4GB and 8GB versions.
- A pocket-sized, dual-display, desktop computer, robot brain, smart home hub, media centre, networked AI core, factory controller, NAS, and much more.
- It offers performance that rivals entry-level PCs at a fraction of the cost.
- Drop it straight into your old projects, it's the same general size and shape as its predecessors and it features the same backwards-compatible GPIO interface as its predecessors.
- The fanless, energy-efficient Raspberry Pi runs silently and uses far less power than other computers.
- It offers the perfect platform for learning/teaching; coding, Linux, IoT systems, streaming media, playing games, automated domestic and industrial applications, or your complete desktop solution and much much more.
- It is the first time the flagship product has features Raspberry Pi silicon, the RP1 I/O controller chip has been designed in-house at Raspberry Pi HQ.
- Raspberry Pi 5 builds on the phenomenal success of Raspberry Pi 4. In comparison with its predecessor, it delivers a 2-3x increase in CPU performance, and a significant uplift in GPU performance, alongside improvements to camera, display, and USB interfacing.
- Each board will include a marking on the upper side of the PCB to identify what memory density is fitted to a specific board.
- All boards now carry a unique serial number on the PCB.
- Raspberry Pi 5 will remain in production until at least January 2035.
- The Raspberry Pi 5 tech specs are;
- CPU: 2.4GHz quad-core, 64-bit Arm Cortex-A76, with 512KB L2 cache and a 2MB shared L3 cache.
- GPU: 800MHz VideoCore VII GPU supporting OpenGL ES 3.1, Vulkan 1.2.
- RAM: LPDDR4X-4267 SDRAM (4GB or 8GB).
- WiFi: Dual band 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz 802.11ac Wi-Fi.
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0 / Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE).
- Storage: Micro SD card slot, with support for high-speed SDR104 mode.
- USB 3.0: 2 x USB 3.0 ports, supporting simultaneous 5Gbps operation.
- USB 2.0: 2 x USB 3.0 ports.
- Ethernet: Gigabit Ethernet, with PoE+ support (requires PoE+ HAT).
- HDMI: 2 x micro-HDMI® ports (up to 4kp60 supported) HEVC decoder and HDR support.
- DSI/CSI: 2 × 4 lane MIPI camera/display transceivers (3x bandwidth improvement).
- PCle: PCIe 2.0 x1 interface for fast peripherals (requires separate M.2 HAT or other adapter).
- Power: 5V/5A DC power via USB-C, with Power Delivery support.
- GPIO: Raspberry Pi standard 40-pin header (Backwards compatible).
- RTC: Real-Time Clock (RTC), powered by an external battery.
- On/Off Switch: On-board power button!!
As you can see, that is an impressive array of features that can easily deliver your day to day desktop needs and power your industrial applications.
Raspberry Pi 5 Lines from Kitronik:
Towards the end of the month, when stock becomes available, we will launch with the following lines. We will be adding more over time but the product pages below cover all of the essentials needed to upgrade your desktop.
- Raspberry Pi 5 4GB.
- Raspberry Pi 5 8GB.
- Raspberry Pi 5 Power supply.
- Raspberry Pi 5 Case.
- Raspberry Pi 5 Desktop Kit - Coming soon.
- Make sure you don't miss out on other news by signing up for our newsletter here.
- Compare the features; Raspberry Pi 5 v's Raspberry Pi 4.
©Kitronik Ltd – You may print this page & link to it, but must not copy the page or part thereof without Kitronik's prior written consent.