Buy locally from a partner
Buy the inventors kit with the ZIP add on pack
Buy the inventors kit with a BBC micro:bit
Please Note: BBC micro:bit is NOT included. You can buy the Kitronik Inventor's Kit with the BBC micro:bit already included here.
The Kitronik Inventor's Kit for the BBC micro:bit is a great way to get started with programming and hardware interaction with the BBC micro:bit. This Inventor's Kit contains everything you need to complete 10 experiments including using LEDs, motors, LDRs and capacitors. this kit is available as a single pack or as a 20 pack.
To get you off to a flying start, we have included an easy to follow tutorial book which guides you through everything you will need to know about programming the BBC micro:bit. You don't need any experience with programming as the tutorial book will guide you every step of the way. You'll be programming and creating circuits in no time!
The Kitronik Inventor's Kit for the BBC micro:bit provides a fantastic way of learning how to construct and control electronic circuits. The BBC micro:bit has a selection of pins that are located on the bottom edge of its PCB. By using our specially designed Edge Connector Board for the BBC micro:bit in conjunction with the breadboard (see below), it is easy to use these pins to connect additional components to the BBC micro:bit.
Inventors Kit Add-On Packs:
On its own, the Kitronik Inventors Kit offers a great introduction to the world of physical computing. Its 12 experiments showcase how code and electronics can combine to create real-world every day practical solutions to situations and problems. Harnessing the power of the elements, using sensory input to make things happen, and using variable input amounts to effect a gradual change are just some of the things you can learn as you progress through the experiments. But why stop there?
In our homes, schools and offices we are surrounded by consumer electronics that at their core, are physical computing devices. Coded electronic devices are everywhere. Many of these devices have been coded to communicate things to us, both visually and audibly. The three add-on packs for the inventors kit have been specifically devised to introduce you to these aspects of practical physical computing.
- ZIP LEDs Add-On Pack for Kitronik Inventors Kit for micro:bit - Most consumer electronics heavily rely on LEDs, as LEDs are a great way of providing instant visual feedback for the user. With this add-on pack, you will learn how to write code to take control of ZIP LEDs and also learn how to make ZIP LEDs respond to input from components such as potentiometers and sensors.
Noise Pack for Kitronik Inventor's Kit for the BBC micro:bit- Learn how to manipulate sound, build instruments, amplify your sounds, and how to shape your sounds with Filtering and EQ.
- Digital Logic Pack for Kitronik Inventor's Kit for the BBC micro:bit - Learn how logic gates work and how they can be used in conjunction with the micro:bit.
- This kit requires assembly.
- No soldering is required and you can build your first circuit in minutes!
- This kit does not include a BBC microbit.
- If you purchase a microbit separately you may also need to purchase a Battery Cage and a USB Cable, depending on which microbit option you purchase.
- No soldering required - build your first circuit in minutes!
- Make 10 experiments included in the provided step-by-step tutorial book.
- All parts are included to conduct the 10 experiments (listed below).
- Breaks out 21 accessible pins from the BBC micro:bit using the Edge Connector Board for the BBC micro:bit (included).
- Small Prototype Breadboard included for fast prototyping.
- This kit is available as a single pack or as a 20 pack.
The contents below are for a single Inventor's kit pack.
- 1 x Mounting Plate.
- 1 x Potentiometer - Vertical Type (finger adjust) 100K.
- 1 x Finger Adjust Spindle.
- 2 x Plastic Spacer 10mm.
- 1 x Sticky Fixer for Battery Pack.
- 1 x Small Prototype Breadboard.
- 1 x Terminal Connector.
- 4 x Push Switch.
- 1 x Motor.
- 1 x Transistor.
- 2 x Red 5mm LED.
- 2 x Orange 5mm LED.
- 2 x Yellow 5mm LED.
- 2 x Green 5mm LED.
- 1 x RGB 5mm LED.
- 1 x Fan Blade.
- 5 x 2.2KΩ Resistor.
- 5 x 10KΩ Resistor.
- 5 x 47Ω Resistor.
- 1 x Edge Connector Breakout Board for BBC micro:bit.
- 10 x Male to Male Jumper Wires.
- 10 x Male to Female Jumper Wires.
- 1 x 470uF Electrolytic Capacitor.
- 1 x Piezo Element Buzzer.
- 4 x Pan Head M3 Machine Screw.
- Depending on which booklet version your Inventors Kit shipped with, you will have one of the two following components;
Kitronik Inventor's kit pack size options:
- Single - 5603.
- 20 pack - 5603-20.
- 1 x BBC micro:bit.
- 1 x Phillips Screwdriver.
- 1 x Terminal Block Screwdriver.
- 1 x Micro USB Cable.
All of the experiments included in this booklet (listed below) are based on the Microsoft MakeCode Editor. We have also produced a MicroPython code example for each of the experiments and Video resources featuring a walk-through and hints and tips to help you complete the experiments.
Inventors Kit Additional Free Resources:
|Exp No#.||Experiment Name.||Resource Type.|
|1||Say Hello to the BBC micro:bit.||Further Help.|
|2 Pre V1.7||Using an LDR and analog inputs.||Full Experiment + Further Help.|
|2 V1.7||Using a Light Sensor & analog inputs.||Full Experiment + Further Help.|
|3||Dimming an LED using a potentiometer.||Further Help.|
|4||Using a transistor to drive a motor.||Full Experiment + Further Help.|
|5||Using the accelerometer to control motor speed.||Further Help.|
|6||Setting the tone with a piezo buzzer.||Further Help.|
|7||Wind Power.||Full Experiment + Further Help.|
|8||Making a game using the compass.||Further Help.|
|9||Capacitor charge circuit.||Further Help.|
|10||Using an RGB LED.||Further Help.|
|11||Making a pedestrian crossing.||Full Experiment + Further Help.|
|12||Making a random dice.||Full Experiment + Further Help.|
Insight Resources Mr Bit is an online educational coding platform that also features sections devoted to some of our key micro:bit accessories, including this kit. This content has been developed by Insight Resources and any questions relating to them should be directed at their contact information. To access these resources, please visit;
This product is designed and manufactured in the UK by Kitronik.
Same Day Dispatch
- Orders placed online before 3:00pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays and our Christmas shutdown period) are always dispatched the same day provided the goods are in stock. If the goods are not in stock we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible to discuss a dispatch date.
- If you live on the UK mainland and don't have any large materials or lithium batteries in your order it will cost £3.95 (£4.74 including VAT) if you spend less than £40 (£48 including VAT).
- If you spend between £40 and £200 (£48 - £240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free to most locations, £12 (£14.40 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to Northern Ireland and £15 (£18.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) to UK remote locations. For a list of postcodes that will be charged the remote location rate: remote area list.
- If you spend over £200 (£240.00 including VAT, excluding large materials or lithium batteries) delivery is free within the UK.
Rest of the world
- These orders are sent via UPS, and the cost is dependant on the service you choose at checkout. Alternatively you can choose the free collection option and have your own courier collect it from us. International orders can only be shipped to the registered card address. Please note: International orders may be charged import duty dependant on local import laws and duty rates. These charges are usually billed to you directly from UPS.
- Delivery times vary for international orders depending on the service selected and the destination. You can see the delivery time and cost at the shipping stage, or by using the shipping estimator from within the shipping basket.
- If you would like to collect your order, or use your own courier then there is an option you can select during checkout. We do not charge a packaging or handling fee for this service, and you will receive an email when your order has been processed, you can collect half an hour after receipt of this email.
- For information about all of the delivery options we offer see full delivery details.
A wide range of BBC micro:bit resources, what it is, the editors and using the micro:bit
A wide range of BBC micro:bit resources, what it is, the editors and using the micro:bit
Kitronik Inventor's Kit for BBC micro:bit has been one of the most successful products we have launched. Having discovered a need for an ultimate beginner product, we also recently launched...
Kitronik Inventor's Kit for BBC micro:bit has been one of the most successful products we have launched. Having discovered a need for an ultimate beginner...
In uncertain times, we must come together and help one another. From this Friday, a lot of schools in the UK will close for the majority of children, which means...
In uncertain times, we must come together and help one another. From this Friday, a lot of schools in the UK will close for the...
As a fun demonstration piece for shows, we created an interactive fan controlled ZIP LED experiment on the Inventors Kit that uses a motor as an input device. When someone...
As a fun demonstration piece for shows, we created an interactive fan controlled ZIP LED experiment on the Inventors Kit that uses a motor as...
See how we made a microbit Guitar using the all-new Noise Pack Add-on for the Kitronik Inventors Kit. We've also included all of the files we've used as free downloads, see...
See how we made a microbit Guitar using the all-new Noise Pack Add-on for the Kitronik Inventors Kit. We've also included all of the files we've...
This Pedestrian Crossing project was submitted to us by Thomas Stratford. Thomas started this project to try out the pre-written code that came with the IET Pedestrian Crossing resource. The aim is...
This Pedestrian Crossing project was submitted to us by Thomas Stratford. Thomas started this project to try out the pre-written code that came with the IET Pedestrian...
The Kitronik Inventor's Kit for the BBC micro:bit is a great way to get started with programming and hardware interaction with the microbit . This Inventor's Kit contains everything you need...
The Kitronik Inventor's Kit for the BBC micro:bit is a great way to get started with programming and hardware interaction with the microbit . This Inventor's...
ZIP LEDs Experiment 10 for the ZIP LEDs Add-On Pack for the Kitronik Inventors Kit for the microbit. This experiment covers how to use a potentiometer to control the speed...
ZIP LEDs Experiment 10 for the ZIP LEDs Add-On Pack for the Kitronik Inventors Kit for the microbit. This experiment covers how to use a...
Thank you for your quesion, it should be entirely possible to do all of these experiments in micro python but as we were aiming this as a starter guide we have not written up full experiments for this.
Thank you for your question, if you type out the code in make code Java script you should then at the top of the screen have an option to press and alter the code to appear in a blocks format.
As i'm awaiting my kit, I was wondering if the manual was only in english ?
Is it possible to contribute to get other versions available to people ?
Thanks a lot for putting up the kit.
This is correct as the purpose of the experiment is to create a blinking light that blinks quicker as you face in a particular direction. It is correct for the Pin 0 to be set to 0 otherwise the LED will remain on continuously.
Be grateful for any support you have
Hi Joseph, It is difficult to advise what could be causing the issue, however it is likely that either the terminal block isn’t quiet lined up on the breadboard correctly or the item that is placed onto the motor is to heavy and as such the motor can’t spin. If you send a photo of the circuit and a screenshot of the code to firstname.lastname@example.org we can take a better look and try to help further.
I just realised there are no pins and was about to use the function presented on the board (i2c).
Hello Owen, The rationale behind the design is this: The micro:bit has 21 connections, however it is not possible to buy a 2 x 21 section of pin header. The 2 x 20 way is however readily available, so the board was designed with the most common connections going to the 20 way break out. As for the two I2C pins, we wanted to include these for more advanced users of the board, but placed them to one side. Anyone that wants to connect to these pins can either permanently solder in to them or add their own pin header.
Hello, the kit would only require a small amount of assembly, the prototype board would need sticking to the plate. The edge connector would need fixing to the plate using the screws and spacers provided. These are the screws that are used, pan-head-m3-machine-screw-pack-of-100
Hi Richard, There isn’t really an upper age restriction on this product, it would depend on how comfortable you feel dealing with electronics and programming. This product is currently being used in schools mainly in there KS3 years, but can be used for people outside of this bracket.
Hi Annelie, Unfortunately it isn’t possible to download the tutorial book as it is part of the kit and not avaible on its own.
Hi Victoria, Unfortunately the booklet isn’t online due to it being part of the product, we have however placed 3 out fo the 10 tutorials online for examples of what are in the booklet. experiment-2-using-an-ldr-analog-inputs experiment-4-using-a-transistor-to-drive-a-motor experiment-7-wind-power
Can't find 'tilt' function anywhere on iphone 6S command list. Can you help please.
We have recently changed this bit of code in the new version of the booklet. I have passed this on for someone to look at for you and they will contact you with further details.
Hi Harry, could you just explain a little further what you are trying to do touch develop?
Ask a question about this product
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.